Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

protecting PIRs from humidity

Status
Not open for further replies.

g2c

Hello friends,
I am using 13 PIRs detector around the house, both for intrusion detection (in armed state) as for lighting (disarm state) the elements I'm using are of ref HC-SR501. They work quite reliably once you replace the pots by a resistor (or a short for the pulse width). The main issue is that oftentimes, when it's windy and raining, some elements start oscillating and send (to the Ino measuring the pulse density) a pulse every ~5” which is interpreted as an intrusion.

The PIRs are housed in a kind of aluminum plate screwed to the wall, picture attached , the wall surface is rough and the Fresnel lens mounting is not hermetic either. It is practically impossible to keep the PIR elements in a dry atmosphere

Now, a friend, aware of mil technology, told me that the mils often coat their PCB with some kind of coating that makes them insensitive to humidity. This coating can even be dissolved if a rework is required on the PCB and I was wondering if anyone has experienced this technic? if so, what kind of coating? or has other ones to overcome my problem?
IMG_7934.JPG

It's just called "Conformal coating", you can get it various types as either aerosol, dip, or epoxy-based types.
If you need to use it on something that may need soldering/desoldering in the future, try to find either a "solder through" or solvent removable variety.

Examples:

I think you ought to be able to find an acrylic nail polish to do the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back