Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Protecting a capacitive soil moisture sensor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is regarding the following sensor:

https://www.dfrobot.com/wiki/index.php?title=Capacitive_Soil_Moisture_Sensor_SKU:SEN0193

It is stated that "The components on this board are NOT waterproof, do not expose to moisture further than the red line. (If you want to protect components from the elements, try using a length of wide heat shrink tubing around the upper-section of the board.)"

I don't have heat shrink tubing wide enough to cover it. I was thinking I could just use some hot glue instead. As in cover the electronics completely in hot glue. Is there any reason to avoid this? Is it likely to work, or to fail?

not a good idea around parts sensitive to stray capacitance like XtalOsc. contacts on connectors.

find the right heat shrink and seal ends with silicone.
**broken link removed**

maybe a thin bike tire inner tube but it wont shrink so ends may be messy with silicone and tie wrap

Last edited:
Aerosol conformal coating, either urethane or acrylic. The sensor circuit is a CMOS 555 oscillator plus a diode and lowpass filter to change the output to a DC level proportional to the oscillator frequency. By definition it is susceptible to changes in stray capacitance, so less is more. Mask off the sense area and connector with masking tape, lay down 2 or 3 layers of conformal coating, ***remove the tape*** (yes, not everyone does), and test.

Hot glue might work, but a) it is hot; b) it is thick. As it cools it might stress or even partially remove a component.

ak

I agree, I was looking at Arduino connect to sensor xtal.

Adding layer of thickness, to reduce hydroscopic effects, adds to cap tuning value if <100pF. If touching the tracks shifts the threshold, you might be able to tune it. Since this is based on capacitance ratio, ratios will be affected.

Contact corrosion with water is inevitable unless all gold plated, even then, add GE RTV silicone to seal from air.

I've tried a few DIY things like spray on clear lacquer, fibre glass resin etc, but I think you need a spec'd conformal that is very moisture resistant. My experience is that the lacquers work ok for a few hours and then degrade the signal as the moisture penetrates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back