Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

project

Status
Not open for further replies.

mukong104

Hallo!..
Can any one help me!!!
I need help about my project. i want to interface the output of my project insted of LCD as display. i have little knowledge of computer. Can i use parallel port or serial port? which is better to use?

thanks..

if u want to interface the o/p with the comp..go 4 the serial port.
u can use C to display it or the hyperterminal itself.
check out the c codes 4 this.

Electrix said:
S yr kbd ok? I cnt rd u

mechie said:
Electrix said:
S yr kbd ok? I cnt rd u

i thnk i shld consider installing d predicitve text soft on my k/b-pc 8)

mukong104 said:
i want to interface the output of my project insted of LCD as display.
I dont understand exactly what you are talking about here.

i have little knowledge of computer. Can i use parallel port or serial port? which is better to use?
thanks..

For you, a parallel port may be the best. It outputs a byte (8 bits) at a time, and the strobe temporarily enters a logic low state when a new byte is on the line. Make your project accept the parallel format and you should be ok. DONT go over 5V with the port.

As for serial port, it is less bulky, BUT it is harder to use because you are dealing with start and stop bits, PLUS you need to include a timer in your circuit which is the same speed as the serial port data to avoid miscommunication.

I think it's quite debatable whether the serial port or parallel port is "harder" to use. If your microcontroller comes with a hardware UART, then serial is definitely easier. Even if it doesn't, there are bound to be software UART source codes for virtually all uCs on the net.
As for parallel ports, the wiring is a hassle. Not only that, you have to ensure you don't burn out your port (Yes, most parallel ports are now integrated to the MOBO :twisted: ). With the modified inpout32.dll file, interfacing on the PC side is as simple as that of the serial interface.
Performance wise, the parallel port is faster than the serial port. The serial port can easily go to 115kbps, pretty decent and more than sufficient for many applications.

Interfacing via parallel port is not that hard. The good thing is that it's accessible via most programming languages.
You can get a very good parallel port tutorial at www.electrosofts.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back