Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

project construction?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neil Groves

I just layed out the syntom circuit on strip board, then wondered if i should breadboard it first, THEN it dawned on me about making the P.C.B for it, now my head is spinning with all the options of general construction techniques. Also should i buy the case first and then design the board to fit the case, especially if i use a case with pre formed slots for the board?

I intend at the moment to breadboard my experimental prototyping as it's easier to correct my screwups of which i am sure there will be plenty, then build it on strip board, i like strip board as if i mess up with component connections, it's easier to correct than having to cut P.C.B tracks and adding extra links.

I suppose it's safe to say that with circuits from magazines (although i am learning they arn't always error free) i could just go straight to strip board, just using the breadboard to actually get my own designs working?

Neil. :confused:

what do you people do as a general construction rule?

I design the PCB to fit the case or whatever it's going to be installed in or mounted on. After getting the board outline, mounting holes, any parts that need to be in a specific position (e.g. connectors, user-accessible pots or switches, LEDs, etc.) placed, then the rest of the parts can be spewed onto the board.

It makes sense placing things that have a set position first for very obvious reasons.

It's a good idea to make a rough sketch of the positions of all the large components (switches, caps, pots, displays etc) first, to get some idea of the pcb area needed. Otherwise you could find you've bought a case which is too small to get all the bits into!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back