programming pic's in C

Status
Not open for further replies.

bloody-orc

hey!

could anyone tell me if and how it is possi ble to program PIC's in C?
What do i need for it and is there any tutorials or help files???

um, yes, but you need a C compiler...

CC5x is a popular one, and the one that I use...

there are several others, but I've found CC5x to be the most usable among the free versions

I never found any tutorials, but there are at least some code examples and for the most part CC5x is compatible with standard C (obviously with some extra stuff to deal with PIC internal hardware, etc) so if you know C, you shouldn't have any problem at all with it.

Nigel Goodwin has a bunch of tutorials for pic's on his website,

and he has some pretty good software.

Well, i would go for the c2c compiler, and soon to be released boostc compiler.

There is a free BETA version of the boostc compiler avaliable for download, and the c2c compiler costs only $80. I got my licence off ebay for $35/£20 which was a bargin. Apparently there will be a upgrade to the c2c licence for the boostc licence when it is release.

I have been using it for a couple of weeks and it works pretty well.

Regards,

- Martyn

bloody-orc said:
hey!

could anyone tell me if and how it is possi ble to program PIC's in C?
What do i need for it and is there any tutorials or help files???

Yes, there are plenty of pic C compilers out there, just google.
However, pic16's aren't a realy good for programming in C, their small instruction set makes it hard for a compiler to generate efficient code.
Therefore programming in C will fill even a 'f877 very fast...

If you really want to persue programming in C i suggest the Pic18 series with microchips own C compiler. Or atmel AVR's wich have the advantage of a very good free C compiler.

ok downloaded the MPLAG IDE 7 from microchip site and also the quickstart.pdf but the quickstart says a lot of things there is not(files i must open atc.)i there a better helpstart avalible that goes with MPLAB IDE 7?

There is a also a full users guide which contains info. for all features of MPLAB7. It can be downloaded at the same place where you downloaded the quick start guide.

ok what ever guid i use, all of them are not in date and go not with MPLAB IDE 7. it tells me tu open folders\files i dont have in my PC'

isn't there an tutorials for MPLAB IDE 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…