Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Programming PIC18F1320 in large quantities

Status
Not open for further replies.

mansoor7777

I am newbie and I have developed an application using MCC18 for a PIC18F1320 and using ICD2, I have programmed and tested the application. The in-circuit programmer loads the .cof file into the PIC (as indicated on the MPLAB IDE). Now, how do I get large quantities programmed by (say) digikey.com (digikey mentions they can do that and they need the hex file for the program). Whenever I compile the IDE indicates it has generated a .cof file and a .hex file. Is that the hex file that needs to be sent to digikey?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mansoor
Rhoflite, LLC

I am newbie
how do I get large quantities programmed

That's one confident programmer -

Surely you would be better having a few samples tested by others first - one to ensure the program flow is in a way others can follow and secondly that there are no unexpected bugs. ( wonder how many bug corrections I have to download today from that little company .. ? - oh - Microsoft )

Programming Services from Digi-Key

The following information is required for Digi-Key to Program:

1.) A copy of the program on master dip chip and disk or .HEX file via e-mail.
2.) A letter / attachment stating the following information:
a) Oscillator used
b) Watchdog timer on or off
c) Brown out fuse – enable or disable
d) Power up timer – enable or disable
e) Device I.D.
f) Checksum
g) Code protect – on or off

If you have any further questions do no hesitate to contact us webmaster@digikey.com

Thanks for the replies.

That's one confident programmer -

Surely you would be better having a few samples tested by others first - one to ensure the program flow is in a way others can follow and secondly that there are no unexpected bugs. ( wonder how many bug corrections I have to download today from that little company .. ? - oh - Microsoft )

:D Yes, I am a newbie to PIC microcontrollers but have 5 years experience with DSP/FPGAs (TI and ADI DSPs, and Xilinx) :D

Got me wondering what a *.cof file is.:confused:
It is what MPLAB spews when it gets a CODE. :D

More seriously:
MPLINK linker generates a COFF file which provides debugging information to MPLAB IDE v6.xx or later. MP2COD.EXE generates the COD files and list files from the COFF file, and MP2HEX.EXE generates the hex file.

Most of the larger official Microchip distributers will bulk program for you, if you supply them with your files. However, as has been mentioned already, it makes much more sense to get 20 done and have users trial them for a month first. If it all works the way you expect then that's great, but if not you then have the chance to fix the problem before you go spending a lot of money on duff parts. Microchip themselves will mask rom parts for you as well, if it's a really large order that's probably the cheapest route, otherwise use the official distributers.

rgds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back