Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Programming in circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrMikey83

The pins used for programming on an ATmega32...can I leave LED's and other devices plugged into those ports while programming? The reason I ask is because I want to use the outputs and plan on programming the chip many times even after inserting into my circuit.
~Mike

I tried programming with an LCD display connected to Port B and it doesn't see the chiip. So I guess the answer is no.
~Mike

you need to design an isolation circuit. if your oins are outputs, use a diode before the rest of the circuit, if they are inputs, a high value resistor works welll. as long as you isolate the pins it should have no trouble programing

I'm going to use PortB for an LCD output and the pins connected to the programming pins are the data pins. These pins would be outputs from the AVR so I should use diodes.
~Mike

Killed it today. I tried connecting an input and uppon trying to program it wouldn't recognize the chip. I disconnected the input and tried to prog and still no luck. Replaced chip and it worked so I guess the old one if fubar. I still have 3 more so hopefully I dont screw up too many more times.
~Mike

Resistors are also often used to protect the controller and programmer from each other. A resistor in series with the programming signal keeps the uC from pulling too much current if the programmer and the uC are in contention. If the programming speed isn't too fast the resistor doesn't cause any problems with programming.

I'll bet Atmel has an app not on this very problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back