Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Programming contest for all micros

Status
Not open for further replies.

stamptrol

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum, usually working with Stamps, Nutchips and larger PLCs.

A programming contest is running at https://www.siskconsult.com to develop and showcase some projects which use the free Quicktrol operator interface.

The zipped contest file on the 'Downloads' page has all the details, including Pbasic programs which can be adapted to most microprocessors.

Tom

Contest details

Hi folks,

I received a couple of emails asking for a few details on this contest.
The contest runs until Sep 2, 2007.

1. Quicktrol is a single-screen operator interface that runs on Windows (98, 2000, XP have been tested). It has 4 analog gauges for displaying analog values from the micro; it has 4 sliders to allow sending an analog value to the micro.

2. Six switches are shown on the screen. Each changes state visually when clicked on. The status of the switches is then sent to the micro. Each switch can be made to operate "momentarily" or in "click-on/click-off mode" by the configuration screen.

3. Six indicator lights show the state of 6 bits from the micro by changing color and text.

4. All on-screen labels' text can be changed with the configuration screen.

5. Communication to the micro is at 2400,4800,9600 selectable with an on-screen box.

6. The Quicktrol can be minimized and kept running (at least on XP). Sample programs are included in the contest package.

Cheers,
Tom

Attachments

• panel_shot.JPG
    panel_shot.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
I just love software that avoids putting the CLOSE button on the title bar. :rolleyes:

It also blocks the CLOSE on the taskbar. No help screens, no menu pulldowns...

Serously why use a BASIC Stamp in a commercial app? It's an antique; but a well marketed antique though. They are slow and expensive. Even the worst PIC BASIC compiler will outrun them. PICs are cheap, Stamps are not.

And where's the protocol document? What commands do what? Do I have to decode the BASIC Stamp examples to see them?

PS documents should never be distributed in .DOC format but instead .PDFs are more practical (and less prone to virus)

Last edited:
Whoever owns that site should've seriously thought about hiring a professional web designer. Using fonts on normal pages with size H1 (or similar) isn't very good design...

Aside from my whining about the formatting of the site, yes, documentation would be nice.

The Gentleman's prizes are very nice though. I honestly wish I could come up with something novel and worthy to submit (for the fun of it too).

So,

Anyone whose system cannot read a .doc file, let me know and I'll give you the pdf.

There is a CLOSE on the application and includes one on the taskbar.

As to decoding the commands, the sample program has only a few lines of simple basic. That's the point.....there are NO commands to learn in order to use the interface.

T

Almost every windows app has minimize, size & close buttons
**broken link removed**
Yours do not. Why?

What does the first screen mean? and the second? What values should I type in?

But the interface will produce RS232 data, a simple document would suffice.

You bring up several good points.

As you undoubtedly know from your industrial experience, it is almost never a good idea to have a control program shut-down with only one click. Hence one reason for a two step process. The way its done in Quicktrol is one way to do that and has nothing to do with the contest.

The first screen, Configuration, as noted in the information, contains the text labels for the gauges, switches, sliders and status lights. They are optional and do not affect the running of the program so are not explained rigorously during the first installation. Also noted in the docs is the purpose of the check boxes for the switches.

The second screen, with only reference to Com ports, is for setting comm parameters, again as described in the docs. Oddly, no one has asked that question before.

Anyone whose system cannot read a .doc file, let me know and I'll give you the pdf.
I think you missed the point. Almost everyone can read a .doc file. A lot of people know how to write a virus to hide in a .doc file. So most of us only accept .pdf files from strangers.

You don't even have them on the two intro screens, before the program is even running. A close button would be nice as it's customary.

Ahh they're labels, just because it's obvious to you the designer doesn't mean it's obvious to everyone. Simply adding the word LABEL would go a long way. It also appears to be fixed levels on your gauges like 0-120 units. Can those be changed?

As mneary said, it's possible to hide virus in word docs. PDF creators can be found for free and will make your product appear more professional. I've looked at other dashboard programs like robodna nice looking program and you can configure the buttons, gauges, sliders etc...
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Hello all,

As always, thanks for that.

Nice looking software for the RobotDNA, I think.

Why not consider an entry using it (or any other graphics/control package) to duplicate the layout of Quicktrol and connect it to the processor of your choice?

Micro processor only needs to report back 4 analogs and 6 outputs. The PC has to send 6 switch settings and 4 analogs to the processor.

Actual controlled process is up to you....lighting system, heating system, robot, cat scratcher, etc, etc.

Cheers,

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back