Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Programming 16F690 with SSOP package. Have Pickit2, but need surface mount ability

Status
Not open for further replies.

fastline

As the title says. We are programming the PDIP style now that fits in the pickit2, but need to program the surface mounts. Is there an economical solution for this? Not looking to buy another programmer, but rather some type of adapter if possible.

i have a doubt, that finally the target would have icsp connector any way, what is need to program without soldering in target location?

if you can wield the soldering rod, solder 5 wires (additional Vdd and Vss wires to be commoned to respptive Vdd and Vss pins) and extend then to a bread board, plug your Pickit2 ton the bread board with help of a male header and after ensuring the the 5 wires(Vpp, Vdd, Vss(gnd), PgData, and Pg CLK are connected properly, go ahead to program

one can always get ssop to dip header from market

Last edited:
As the title says. We are programming the PDIP style now that fits in the pickit2, but need to program the surface mounts. Is there an economical solution for this? Not looking to buy another programmer, but rather some type of adapter if possible.

Depends upon your PCB space and your budget.

If you are producing a large volume product, Microchip offer a service whereby you can receive the devices already programmed, provided you supply them with the required final revision files. Populate the board and reflow, and away you go. I don't know how much it costs in relation to blank versus programmed though..you could use nickleflippr's ZIFF socket if you doing a low volume product.

If you need to update the device after it is soldered to the PCB, you will have to add an ICSP point somewhere on the board.

Whether that is a 0.1" pin header, contact pads for POGO pins, or something else, depends upon your product and the enclosure you are using. If you need a low profile option, you could choose contact pads and POGO pins, otherwise if you have the room inside the enclosure, pin headers may be the better option.

Regards.

After a brief discussion, I think we will go the POGO pad route and program in circuit. These are low volume units (500/yr max). Are there standards for POGO setups? I would rather not install a pin header for programming.

Also, we planned to build up as a standard bench build with mostly SM components. Just curious if there are other low volume solder techniques that work well on the bench? I am somewhat familiar with hot air soldering but not sure if that would really save any time or not. Just looking for the fastest route I guess.

I'm not sure of any actual standards regarding POGO pins, it is not something I have researched properly...

Here are a few links showing programming using POGO pins and PCB contact pads/holes, in various configurations:

Au Group Electronics: CBL-0703-POGO: PIC In-Circuit Serial Programming (ICSP) Pogo Cable

**broken link removed**

An overview of the Genesis series of hand-held radios - the HT600, HT600E, MT800, MT1000, MTX800, MTX Classic, MTX900 and the P200

Here are a few links to different sizes/styles:

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

Yokowo, Spring loaded connectors, Spring loaded connector, pogo pins, pogo pin, Spring connectors, spring connector, custom connector, space saving, battery connector

Pogo Manufacturers & Suppliers

If you are going this route, you could choose to have the product field programmable/updatable with minimal dismantling, by incorporating some form of removable cover, enabling access to the pads through the enclosure...or you could stuff - solder - program - assemble - seal - ship the product and require returns for updating..

Who would do the programming/updating? Rather than leaving anything to chance, a 'keyed' ICSP programming adapter would be preferrable, since if there is any possibility of it being connected wrong, it will be most likely done at some point....

Thanks! The programming will be a one shot deal. it will all be potted after. Just looking for the easiest solution to program the chip for smaller production runs. In circuit is likely to be best but if there are fast programming sockets so we can program before installing, that is fine too. I guess that is the basis for my questions. "fastest way to get low productions chip programmed" I am having a hard time finding much for surface mount components. Not sure if most of them are pre-programmed or what. I might be fine to use an adapter for our pickit to mount the (now) SOIC chip. We were going to use the SSOP but found it will likely be a large challenge to solder. VERY small guy...

There are SOIC test-clips available - below is a link and the 5253 would suit your '690:
Pomona Electronics -

Assuming you designed the PCB with the correct ICSP criteria, you could probably do away with the PCB ICSP pads and just directly program the device with the correct test-clip pins attached to PICkit2...

Just design the pc board w/ edge card contacts

This is what I am in process of doing.
Use a 6 pos female edge card contacts on an adapter board so the Pickit2 can be connected.
Then its just a matter of pluging the pc board into the female edge card socket.
attached is circuit board I am working on. It uses 5 contacts as I am using a Junebug, not a Pickit2.
here is a picture of what I am using. the short ones have 9 pos. I need to increase my edge card contacts but I got about 100 for free so beggers can't be choosie. Going this method allods lower profile
**broken link removed**

Attachments

• smd boqrd.PNG
    smd boqrd.PNG
    63.7 KB · Views: 174
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back