Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Programming 12c508 PICs

Status
Not open for further replies.

OptimusPlatinum

I need to learn how to program 12c508's in order to help a friend who is swamped with work. Can anyone tell me what language I need to learn, and where I can learn it? I downloaded Microchip MPLAB IDE, and I'm getting a programmer. Thanks for any information you can provide me with.

Datasheet

Google for the datasheet online. Then study the Instruction Set. Its all the commands you can implement in the PIC. Basically you need to learn the assembly programming for the chip. The MPLAB comes with a nice template you can springboard off of.

Nate

A word of warning (just in case), the 12C508 is OTP (One Time Programmable), so you need to buy at least one 12C508JW which is a UV eraseable version (and also need a UV eraser). The 12C508 has an internal oscillator, and has a calibration byte for this stored at the very top of memory. Before you do anything else, read the JW chip and WRITE THE VALUE DOWN, as it'e erased along with the rest of the chip in the eraser, and you have to restore it each time.

You won't believe how many people simply erase the chip without doing this!.

Awesome, thanks to you both....I have to get started....with me luck 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back