Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Programmer Or Bootloader?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Programers are proberbly beter but you can order a pic pre programed with a bootloader from some website

Yes,but if you use bootloader you don't "spend" erase and write cycles.Am i wrong?

There is no erase 'cycle', it's essentially instant during programming - the write time has the same constraints in either case.

As already suggested, you need a programmer in order to install a bootloader in your PIC - I've used both, a programmer is far more useful.

You might try the Junebug from Bill, this is not only a programmer, but an ICD (In Circuit Debugger) as well - and the actual processor on-board is updated for different devices via a bootloader.

I mean that,ex.16f628a has 100,000 erase/write cycle enhanced flash
program memory typical,Does bootloader affect that?

You can't use a bootloader on the '628 or '628A because those particular devices don't have bootloader capability. That is, they can't write their own program memory.

Mike

It is well worth getting the PicKit 2. I have it for about a year now and it has served me well. Also its software is constantly updated.Also it comes with a few tools like UART terminal and a logic analyzer.Also it can power the circuit with a adjustable voltage from 2V to 5V.

Also the good thing is that it will program nearly any PIC out there fro the little PIC10F to the new 32bit PIC and also a few serial EEPROMs.

Also for this much functionality its cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back