Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Programmer board not detected on USB port

Status
Not open for further replies.

ag

I just got my PIC FLASH starter kit but it keeps saying 'programmer not detected' with the development board plugged in to the USB port when i try to load a program to the chip. The manual says it doesn't need any drivers, though. Hmmm.

ag said:
I just got my PIC FLASH starter kit but it keeps saying 'programmer not detected' with the development board plugged in to the USB port when i try to load a program to the chip. The manual says it doesn't need any drivers, though. Hmmm.

I presume your USB ports are working?.

Yes, when i plug in the board to the USB port the dialog box 'new hardware detected' appears and it asks me if it can do a search for an appropriate driver. But if i've read the manual correctly, the development board doesn't require any drivers.

I presume you've installed everything in the correct order?, usually you have to install the software first, then connect the hardware, the installation instructions should cover how to do it?.

I've never actually seen or used one, but I presume you have to have a specific version of MPLAB to use it?, the earlier ones didn't have USB support, but it was added in the later versions.

Often when you add USB items, you have to insert your original Windows CD, has it asked for that?.

No, it didn't ask me for the windows CD. It's MPLAB v5.70, but there's a separate program (PICkit v1.0) for loading the compiled program into the development board and it's that part which if i'm right should be communicating with the board.

That MPLab is extremely old, like 4 yrs maybe? As usual with computer issues, get the most recent software/drivers first and see if that clears up the problem.

ag said:
No, it didn't ask me for the windows CD. It's MPLAB v5.70, but there's a separate program (PICkit v1.0) for loading the compiled program into the development board and it's that part which if i'm right should be communicating with the board.

As 'bonxer' says, that version of MPLAB is years old, and probably won't even include the PICKIT1 supported chips in the assembler?.

As far as I'm aware (never having seen one), MPLAB communicates directly with the PICKIT1, and MPLAB was upgraded with USB support at about the same time as it's release.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back