Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

programmable logic devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

kubeek

Most Helpful Member
I am looking for some programable logic, something pretty small - i guess no more than 20 flip flops and just a few i/o, running at <1MHz. The key is that it needs to be very low power, so no more than 1mA when running, preferably <0.5mA.

I found ATF16LV8C from atmel, but now that I read the datasheet again it seems to be very power hungry, so do you guys have any recommendations for something that might actually work for me?

Most PLD pull power basted on clock frequency. If the clock is slow the power is less.
The 16LV8 only has 8 flip flops.

Also see: GAL26CV12, GALV8 from Lattice

Have you considered using a low power microcontroller? Depending on your application this may be a better route.
I have, I am using MSP430 as a main controller, but what I wanted was a hardware decoder for the modified muller encoding used in rfid cards, but the 8mhz was not enough for the decoding scheme I wanted to do, leaving just 12 clocks between samples. Now that I have a better understanding of the encoding I think I should be able to do the logic using just the micro.

But anyway this detour sure showed me how big is the gap between discrete logic chips and programmable logic.

Less than 1 ma? My goodness. Good luck with that. Why the strict requirement?

Last edited:
Because the thing is powered from the RF field of the card reader, and the max. current I can get is 3mA without any headroom for modulation. Thankfully the MSP430 takes only 350uA per MHz.

Now that I thought to incorporate a buck converter, I should be able to pull around 5mA at 2.7V, with luck even 10mA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back