Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Programmable Logic Controllers

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinke

Hi everybody,
im at university studying electronic and electrical engineering and actually im on industrial training.i would like to learn PLCs on my own cause there is much of these there so that i can get along quite well with them.
im quite good in digital logic and less in programming,about how much time it will take me to learn provided that im highly motivated and eager to learn?
some advice would be most welcomed...
thank you

It's hard to say. PLC's are fairly easy to learn by design. Check the free training at PLCS.NET. It has a simulated PLC online, so you can write programs and test them.

Thks keithK.
ive heard of this site and its online training,but is it worth trying this. i was thinking of finding a book about the matter and for the practical thing i could get some simulation programs and as im on training in a manufacturing factory i could get in touch with them.my point is if i proceed in this way,[B]if its a good one[/B], about how long will it take for me to get a sound knowledge about PLCs?of course i dont expect to become an expert but just the basic and a bit more...

Last edited:
There are many PLC suppliers on the market, e.g. Siemens, ABB, Allan Bradley (Rockwell Automation), Honeywell, Toshiba etc. etc.

These PLC's all have to be programmed by the user for the desired application. You have a choice of different PLC languages e.g. Ladder, Structure code, Function Blocks and Sequential function chart.

Now, some companies do have simulators (e.g. ABB and it's AC800xA range with the AC800M PLC controller), but that's usually intended for the end user who actually bought the full package, (and were not talking about peanuts here :D )

There are small PLC units available on the market that mainly uses Ladder logic as programming language for the average light usage user. As was mentioned earlier, visit some of the PLC forums on the net. (Search for PLC with Google).

I'm sorry to say that what you’re looking for is not going to be so easily available as most training and simulation packages are for the Microchip range of equipment (C, ASM and basic compilers to name a few)

vinke said:
Thks keithK.
ive heard of this site and its online training,but is it worth trying this. i was thinking of finding a book about the matter and for the practical thing i could get some simulation programs and as im on training in a manufacturing factory i could get in touch with them.my point is if i proceed in this way,[B]if its a good one[/B], about how long will it take for me to get a sound knowledge about PLCs?of course i dont expect to become an expert but just the basic and a bit more...

I don't think you need a book first. Part of a PLC's design is making it easy to learn and program. 'Ladder' is the traditional way to program them. Spend a few hours on plcs.net or other sites, and play around.

PLC's are almost the opposite of a PIC. With Industrial Control systems, everything is designed to be modular replacement. You do everything you can to avoid 'rolling your own'. You don't build an A/D converter, you buy an A/D module for about $200.00.

Everyone has their favorite brand. Allen Bradley is regarded as the big expensive one. Many swear by it and won't consider anything else. Their way of doing things is a bit different than the rest. They have a basic model for about $100.00, and I think the software is free for it. After that, get ready to spend thousands. Automation Direct is at the other end. They have a reputation for good quality products at a low price. I've built several custom machines using their products. For me, it's my first choice. The free version of software has a 100 item limit, and gets used up pretty fast, but enough to experiment with.

I've purchased books for 'C', 'PIC Basic', etc. For PLC's, I self taught by just 'diving into it'.

Ladder logic is a relic from before the micro controller existed. It's like using logo to program an AI routine =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back