Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

programing language ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow

Which is the best programing language to learn.
I want it use it to communicate with a µC via the serial or USB-port.

I'm thinking about one of these:
Visual Basic
Visual C
Delphi

try python, very good!

Russlk said:
BASIC is easy but has limitations. C is more useful. Don't know anything about DELPHI.

Delphi is Pascal based, which makes it probably the best learning language, the same reasoning makes C the worst :lol:

But on a practical point of view, ANY will be fine, if you have any programming experience at all, choose a similar language to that you already know.

The most used commercially is C, so if you're planning to program commercially that would be your best bet, but it's by far the hardest of the three.

The fastest to use is Delphi, Borland Pascal compilers have always been blisteringly fast - back in the DOS days Turbo Pascal compiled something like 5 times faster than Turbo C or Microsoft C.

The one you've most probably had dealings with previously though is BASIC, and although VB doesn't look a great deal like the BASIC you might know (VB has taken a LOT of Pascal bits), it's not really that different, and you would soon adapt.

I'd recommend C++ for desktop PC programming. It's pretty much the standard as far as programming languages go.

Personaly, I dislike Visual Basic. It always seems a bit vague.

C# (pronounced "See Sharp") is Microsofts new language that combines the easy GUI design from VB, and garbage collection from JAVA, with C++ syntax. It still seems a bit qwerky though.

If you can afford Microsoft Visual Studio you get VB, C++ and C#. Its a bit of a learning curve but they are good tools.

If you can't afford that take a look at the Eclipse design environment which supports C++ and JAVA among other things. It's free.

All High level languages are fairly similar. Once you know one its fairly easy to pick up others.

If you are looking at languages for programming microcontrollers C and assembly are the only common ones.

Shadow said:
Which is the best programing language to learn.
I want it use it to communicate with a µC via the serial or USB-port.

I'm thinking about one of these:
Visual Basic
Visual C
Delphi

Hi there,

every programming languages have their own good and no good. If you are beginner, may be you can try Visual basic that is more user-friendly in coding.But if you know the way & application, Visual Basic can be very powerful like Visual C++ or Borland C.

If you are advance/experience programmer, then you may use Visual C++.

Please visit this webiste for some info on vb coding examples,

http://www.geocities.com/bagtool/vb/vb_program.html

free

I have learned ANSI C in shool, but only the basic, like all the loop types, array's and strings.
And the microcontroller I program in Assembler, or If I use a PIC in Picbasic.

So probably I will take a look to Visual basic first.

I am a VB'er by nature ;) although i use C for pics and have used it for PDA programming (old palms)

Anyhow, VB.net is very powerfull and fast. For instance i created a complete interface to a 'robot' on the PC for debugging in a matter of hours, i am sure VC++ would be the same time, but its much easier to get into after a period of non-programming.

what's the difference between Visual C++ and Visual C++.net?Visual Basic.net? what does ".net" mean?
anyone know a good tutorial on how to use Visual C++ to access the parallel and serial ports?and another one for image processing?I need a tutorial for my robotic project. thanks in advance :D

QuickBasic.

And if your computer is an old 286, then maybe use DOS Debug or an early version of assembly.

The .net stuff has a lot of features from Java. Garbage collection and some more flexible object-oriented stuff. The .net environment also compiles VB and C# into the same intermediate code. This lets you mix languages in a project. You can also build interpreted code like Java. I think the Visual C++.net is fairly similar to all C++ but it has the hooks to take the code into the .NET environment.

For image processing Intel distributes signal processing libraries optimised for their processors for something like $150. Worth taking a look if you can spend a bit on tools. You are likely to find more image processing tools in C++.

bmcculla said:
The .net stuff has a lot of features from Java. Garbage collection and some more flexible object-oriented stuff. The .net environment also compiles VB and C# into the same intermediate code. This lets you mix languages in a project. You can also build interpreted code like Java. I think the Visual C++.net is fairly similar to all C++ but it has the hooks to take the code into the .NET environment.

Erm kinda no. Basically in the olden days u would use libaries like the common control collection and use different types of refferences to call system functions.

.net is a different way of looking at things, EVERYTHING is object oriented. From normal system calls to setting up controls on the fly. The only problem is u need the .net framwork installed for it to work.

I know it has its limits, but I recommend QBASIC. Easy to build, quick to debug, and the tutorials are plentiful. C is useful too, because you can carry that experience over to either PC or uC programming.

thanks for the replies. :D anyone know a good tutorial on how to use Visual C++ to access the parallel and serial ports?and another Visual C++ tutorial for image processing?I need a tutorial for my robotic vision project. thanks in advance :D

For the image processing, I've found openCV library to be very good! It's open source, very powerfull, super fast and can be downloaded at
https://sourceforge.net/projects/opencvlibrary/

But little warning though, it's badly documented and takes a while to get into!

To build the library you will need directx9.0b SDK (if you're using Visual C++ 6.0), as directx 9.0c SDK has no "directShow". After that you can use library's FAQ to integrate it within Visual C++.

If however, you're familiar with Java then JAI is a another great way to go (perhaps a better way), but as longs as you don't expect the same performance as with openCV. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back