Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

program a 12C508 hex into a 12C508A

Status
Not open for further replies.

bogdanfirst

i have a hex file that was created for a 12C508. but i have a PIC12C508A. the difference is in memory.
can i program it directly, or do i need to make any changes?
thanks

bogdanfirst said:
i have a hex file that was created for a 12C508. but i have a PIC12C508A. the difference is in memory.
can i program it directly, or do i need to make any changes?
thanks

There's a tehnical bulletin on the MicroChip website which explains any changes when migrating from the 508 to the 508A - the only change appears to be the OSCCAL register. Checking the 508/508A datasheet explains the change - the 508 uses 4 bits, the 508A 6 bits. As you 'should' be simply copying the preloaded OSCCAL value into it, there should be no problem.

bogdanfirst said:
i am not really sure i understan.
can you please give me more details?

Presumably English isn't your first language?, so you may have trouble reading the datasheets.

To put it simply, you should be able to load the HEX file into a 508A without any problems.

What I heard from my friends is, the older PICSTART plus programmer doesn't support the 'A' model. I didnt meet such problem as i am using debugger.

nope, english is not my 1st language.
so....you say it should work without any problems....
i'll give it a try!

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back