Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Profibus Help !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I recently bought a pump with a profibus controller simply because I got it for an absolute steal. Here is the datasheet;

**broken link removed**

So from what I gather it is RS485 which I can bit-bang with a microcontroller, I will be using a PIC18F14k22 - 16MIPS, or something similar. Programming in assembly.

The problem is that I know literally nothing about profibus and it seems almost impossible to find the complete protocol.

I really don't want to resort to using a PC to control the pump since there is no room for one in my application, I need to be able to control the speed of the pump while being able to check it's parameters. Stator winding and bearing temperatures need to be closely monitored. Speed is certainly not an issue, something around the 57k6 baud rate is what I'm after, I don't want to go too high as bit-banging won't be fast enough.

So if anyone can point me in the right direction I will be very grateful, a stupid guide would be preferred, ideally not some cryptic engineering manual.

Regards,
Joe

There are a couple of files posted in this thread for a slave device - hopefully they should help you see what you need to communicate from the master side.
(source and header in two consecutive posts).
https://www.mikrocontroller.net/topic/106174#1031175

There is plenty of documentation about but not a lot I've found in the way of source code..

Hi, thanks for the reply.
I followed the link but unfortunately only half the page translates, plus I have no experience with C. I have found that the "Holy Grail" of books is called "A rapid way to Profibus DP by Manfred Popp" but seems to be impossible to find without having to order a book through the official profibus website.
I think I'm getting a little closer to a solution but all the documentation is so cryptic.
I decided to buy a transceiver to give myself the best chance, then it's all down to software.
Another thing I noticed is that the pinout on the speed controller is different to the profibus standard, odd when it's meant for profibus, unless I'm missing something?, page 30-31

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back