Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Processor Design Architecture

Status
Not open for further replies.
A little on my background and reason for this question.
I am an EEE engineer (wasted my college years as I didn't have any interest in electronics at that time ).
Then I got my first software engineering job, designing software for creating embedded hardware design ( which made me started hating software and loving hardware side of things ). And now I am slowly moving towards system design engineering.

I am working on integration of an arm based SOC with FPGA as of now. That's when I realized I need to get hold of my basics to be a better design engineer. I particularly got struck on memory address mappings done for processor to memory. I tried grasping it through material available on internet and got a basic understanding. But I seriously doubt that my perception of it is the correct one and hence stated some part of my understandings in the simplest possible manner I could (and have reserved the complexities for later posts ). Here I have presented the various processor architectures and my doubts related to each one of them. If someone could read through it and guide me through my mistakes, It would be a great help.

Here's the simplistic description which I have in my mind about the various architectures and their pros and cons:
For each of the architecture I have assumed that an address bus is 1 bit wide and data bus is 8 bit wide:

1) Harvard Architecture:

Processor has two address buses (each 1 bit):
Instruction address bus: (IAB)
Data address bus: (DAB)

Processor has two data buses (8 bit each):
Instruction data bus: (IDB)
Data data bus: (DDB)

Processor has two separate memories(each is 16 bit -> 2x8):
instruction memory: (IM)
data memory: (DM)

When the processor needs to fetch an instruction, it will generate an address 0 or 1 which will go to IM through IAB and fetch the 8 bit instruction at that location(based on whether IAB has value 0 or 1) through IDB.
Similarly, If the processor needs to fetch some data or write to some location, it will go to DM through DAB and fetch the data at that location through DDB.

Salient Features of this architecture:
1) Possible to fetch instruction and data at the same time.
2) Effectively we'll have 32 bit memory (16 for IM and 16 for DM). Though I am not sure if its a positive feature or a negative one.
3) Processor will occupy more area. Is it true?
4) Instruction set would be complex. Again, is it true?

2) Modified harvard architecture:

Processor has two address buses (each 1 bit):
Instruction address bus: (IAB)
Data address bus: (DAB)

Processor has two data buses (8 bit each):
Instruction data bus: (IDB)
Data data bus: (DDB)

Processor has a single memory 'M'.
At location 0 resides the instruction and at location 1 resides the data. IAB will be mapped only to location 0 of memory and DAB will be mapped only to location 1 of memory.

When the proccesor want to fetch the instruction, it will ask for location 0 through IAB and fetch the instruction through IDB. Similar process would be done to fetch data at location 1, though this time through DAB and DDB.

Salient features:
2) Still we can fetch data and instruction at the same time.
1) Need only one memory space.
2) Effective memory is 16 bit. That is bad, right?
3) One doubt is what happens if processor tries to access location 1 through IAB or location 0 through DAB. How is this situation taken care of?

3) Von Neumann architecture:

Processor has one address buses (1 bit):
Common address bus: (CAB)

Processor has one data buses (8 bit):
Common data bus: (CDB)

Processor has a single memory 'M'.
At location 0 resides the instruction and at location 1 resides the data. CAB will be mapped to both location 0 and 1.

When the processor wants to fetch an instruction, it will go to location 0 through CAD and fetch the data there through CDB. Similarly for data, it will go to location in a similar manner.

One of the basic question I have with respect to Von Neumann architecture is that when we are trying to fetch an instruction or data, the processor will just give an address location (say suppose 0) to the CAB. How would it know if its for data or instruction? Because what I believe is that in harvard architecture, the fact that it went through IAB meant it was an instruction and DAB meant it was data. But having a common bus in von neumenn would not provide any such differentiation.

Thanks for the help in Advance

In Von Neumann, the CPU core knows what instructions have associated arguments. e.g. MOV A,#0x80 has an argument. CLR A does not. So when the core sees the hex for MOV A, it does not assign the next value as an instruction but as an argument. This is nominally referred to as the cycles per instruction.

The same works for 16bit arguments.

MOVX DPTR.#0x1000. Once the core sees the mnemonic for MOVX DPTR, the next two fetches are the arguments.

This is explained brilliantly in a book called Programming the Z80 by Rodney Zaks (although my examples are for a 8051 core)

Last edited:
1) 4) Harvard instruction set is not necessarily more complex. You can implement RISC and CISC in either arch. type.

Re last Q about Von newman, it knows it's instruction memory because the instruction pointer (IP) is pointing to it, and assumes data memory when an instruction references it. It's possible to modify the instructions as if they were data on the fly to change the program if you wanted (self modifying or self generating code).

Re last Q about Von newman, it knows it's instruction memory because the instruction pointer (IP) is pointing to it, and assumes data memory when an instruction references it. It's possible to modify the instructions as if they were data on the fly to change the program if you wanted (self modifying or self generating code).

In VN, the instruction memory and data memory can occupy different places within the same linear range and physically where it comes from is down to the address decoding.
In Z80
LD HL,#$1000 - 1 instruction 2 (8bit) arguments.
LDA,(HL) - 1 instruction 0 arguments.
HL can either point to a place in program memory or data memory. e.g. In ROM or program memory to access a lookup table or RAM to access RAM variables. Even an memory mapped I/O port within the same 64K address space.
The CPU core doesn't care where it comes from just the number of associated arguments.

On a 6811 (and others), they can overlap. Writes can write to overlapping memory areas like external RAM and internal RAM. Reads tend to prioritise internal RAM as that's where internal mapped ports often sit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back