Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Problem with thyristor circuit control

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unlikely.
Have you tried removing (or disconnecting) the preset as RJ suggested?

No I haven't.the thing I was getting at is one thyristor circuit worked at an acceptable temperature but when the potentiometer was changed to a different corded one I got a different result in temperature.both the potentiometers were turned down to zero so there's not really any other possibilities as to why two different results from technically the same parts

Do the main pots and the preset ones have identical values on both controllers?
Have you adjusted both the main and the presets to minimum on both controllers?
Is there a fixed resistor in series with either pot on either controller?

Likely just component tolerances between different makers.

At the price the whole units sell for, they could even be rejects / out of specification parts.

Something must be limiting the minimum setting. Can you trace the circuit to see if there is a resistor in series with the pots?

Something must be limiting the minimum setting
The multi-turn preset on the PCB is in parallel with the control pot. Maximum resistance = later firing & minimal output.
The preset limits how high the overall control variation can be.

Maximum resistance = later firing & minimal output.
So a resistor added in series (or increased in value if one is already present) should reduce the output further, if that's what's required.

So a resistor added in series (or increased in value if one is already present) should reduce the output further, if that's what's required.
... Or just remove the shunt preset, as I have already suggested.

A series resistor will limit the high end as well.

A series resistor will limit the high end as well.
I don't think that matters, if the aim is just to reduce heating element temperature.

I'm going to try the branded potentiometer on a cord and see if that makes a difference to when it was soldered directly to the PCB.will report back

Soldered the better pot to the board and then turned the preset trimmer down till it started clicking and now the minimum temp when set to zero
is 50'c. That's awesome now this thing works as it should.so the pot was the source of variance.now I know how to get them working how I want.thanks for the help guys.

A simple thing to try is to cut the track to the trimpot. If your board is the same then cutting here should work,

board.jpg

You can normally score a groove with a suitable knife or screw driver.

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back