Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Problem with PIC 16F876A

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just tested some inexpensive PIC16F876A micros imported from China. So in each case I used the code below to put all the outputs high. I used a PIC Kit K150 programmer to program the chips, and in every case it confirmed "Program completed". And of course the Oshonsoft simulator showed all the outputs high (ON). However, in fact none of the output pins on the chips themselves went high, and a voltmeter reading on all showed about 0.9 volt. I then modified the code to switch all outputs low. Measured voltages descended to about 0.5.

I'm quite inexperienced with coding and micros, by the way, so my question to you kind folks is : are the chips dud, or is my code wanting in some respect?
Define CLOCK_FREQUENCY = 4 MHz
TRISB = %00000000
TRISC = %00000000
RB = %00000000
RC = %00000000
AllDigital
main:
RB = %11111111
RC = %11111111
Goto main
End

Define CLOCK_FREQUENCY = 4 'MHz
TRISB = %00000000
TRISC = %00000000
RB = %00000000
RC = %00000000
AllDigital
main:
RB = %11111111
RC = %11111111
Goto main
End

hi steve,
Are you sure the 4mHz xtal is working OK.?
Eric
I assume also that the /MCLR pin is connected correctly on the test board.?

hi Eric
Not using a crystal. Changed the fuse value to RC to use internal osc. Not sure if this is permissible for this chip, but as a dabbler I haven't much of a clue what I'm doing really. I think you're quite right in homing in on the MCLR connection which in this case was o/c after programming. I had been thinking that like some smaller chips, the MCLR pin was configurable as an output, which my code would have catered for. So I tried tying it to VDD via 820 ohms, and did some re-arranging of the board wiring. Now I'm getting intermittent results which I'm trying to sort out. Still inconclusive I'm afraid. Thanks very much for the sleuthing, and I'll come back when/if I get it working, or if I'm further baffled.

hi Eric
Not using a crystal. Changed the fuse value to RC to use internal osc. Not sure if this is permissible for this chip, but as a dabbler I haven't much of a clue what I'm doing really. I think you're quite right in homing in on the MCLR connection which in this case was o/c after programming. I had been thinking that like some smaller chips, the MCLR pin was configurable as an output, which my code would have catered for. So I tried tying it to VDD via 820 ohms, and did some re-arranging of the board wiring. Now I'm getting intermittent results which I'm trying to sort out. Still inconclusive I'm afraid. Thanks very much for the sleuthing, and I'll come back when/if I get it working, or if I'm further baffled.

The 16F876A does not have an internal oscillator, you must use a crystal or external oscillator circuit of some sort. See page 145 of the datasheet. It is the 16F88x series that have internal oscillators, not the 16F87x series.
You can use a RC circuit if you have no crystal, but harder to set a fixed frequency (section 14.2.3 in datasheet)
FYI, MCLR pin is input only, it cannot be used as output.
When you define pins low, the internals are current sink, you may not see a voltage that is valid. ^The chip does not output 0 volts, it turns on a "grounding" transistor circuit to draw down an external load. Output high should show between 4.5 to 5V. To test any pin, you could put a high value resistor between test pin and ground, like 10k to 100k ohms.

Unless you have RB and RC defined somewhere (are they compiler defaults?), it may not work. Use the keywords "PortB" and "PortC", easier to read and understand. (EDIT: I take that back, RA, RB, RC are compiler defined as ports...)

Last edited:
hi steve.
As sagor1 states,,, physical crystal is required.
Eric

Thanks to sagor1 and Eric for info and advice. You can see I was truthful in intimating I didn't have a clue what I was doing.
So far this morning I've managed to destroy two perfectly good 876's. Fortunately I have three left from the Chinese consignment of five. I also have some 16MHz crystals and 22 puff caps. So, now armed with fresh knowledge from you guys, there's some hope that by the end of the day I'll have a LED flashing. Will let you know. Thanks again.

Thanks to sagor1 and Eric for info and advice. You can see I was truthful in intimating I didn't have a clue what I was doing.
So far this morning I've managed to destroy two perfectly good 876's. Fortunately I have three left from the Chinese consignment of five. I also have some 16MHz crystals and 22 puff caps. So, now armed with fresh knowledge from you guys, there's some hope that by the end of the day I'll have a LED flashing. Will let you know. Thanks again.
If you order more chips, just get the 16F886, instead of the 876A. They are about the same price from China. At least the 886 has an internal oscillator, easier to prototype that way.
Word of advice, the 16F886 starts at default 4Mhz when powered on. To get 8Mhz internal oscillator, you have to set OSCCON register. The Oshonsoft compiler does not do it automatically, so if you define 8Mhz as frequency in the code, you still have to go set OSCCON bits to 8Mhz in initialization part of the code. (Section 4.2 of 16F886 datasheet)
Of course, you can just leave it at the default 4Mhz if you wish, as long as you define the same in the code.
Steve

PS If flashing LEDs directly from the PIC, always safer to put a 220 Ohm resistor (or thereabouts) in series with the pin and the LED

Last edited:
Hitting all kind of problems with the hardware. Giving up for the day, if not for ever. Thank you both (Eric and Sagor1) for all your help, I've learned a lot today.

Hitting all kind of problems with the hardware. Giving up for the day, if not for ever. Thank you both (Eric and Sagor1) for all your help, I've learned a lot today.
Never give up. It all does work, once you learn how. We all had to start from ground zero at some point. If in doubt, post the entire code you are working with and many here will review and correct (or suggest) how to fix things. However, how you actually wire things on a breadboard are up to you... ;)

Steve (another Steve lol...)

Never give up. It all does work, once you learn how. We all had to start from ground zero at some point. If in doubt, post the entire code you are working with and many here will review and correct (or suggest) how to fix things. However, how you actually wire things on a breadboard are up to you... ;)

Steve (another Steve lol...)
OK Sagor1, back again. Done some sorting out of hardware; got a 16Mhz crystal connected between pins 9 and 10, with two 22pF caps one on each leg of xtal, and with other ends of caps to earth (Vss). LED with 390 ohm series connected to Vdd. Using ICSP. MCLR tied to Vdd via 1k8 resistor (disconnected during programming just in case!). Vdd from programmer o/c permanently. Local 5 volt Vdd permanently connected.

After programming, LED remains extinguished, no flashing LED. Programmer confirms programming complete.
Here's the code: I'm wondering if the hardware Xtal install needs some additional initialising code? Some further help would be greatly appreciated.

Define CLOCK_FREQUENCY = 16
TRISB = %00000000
TRISC = %00000000
RB = %00000000
AllDigital
main:
RB = %11111111
WaitMs 100
RB = %00000000
WaitMs 100
Goto main
End

Ok, I think the 100ms is a bit short. a dim led may not flash all that much at that rate, it may seem to be steady on, but dim.
Do 1000ms instead. I tested this code in the simulator, and it works just fine. I turned off all options in the config (brownout, watchdog, etc...), and set HS crystal as clock source.
Make sure your configuration bits are set properly.

Define CONFIG = 0x3f3a
Define CLOCK_FREQUENCY = 16
'Define SIMULATION_WAITMS_VALUE = 1 'Used for simulation only

AllDigital

ConfigPin PORTB = Output
ConfigPin PORTC = Output

PORTB = 0 'Set low to start
PORTC = 0 'Set low to start

Symbol testpin = PORTB.1 'Define RB.1 as test pin

main:
testpin = 1
WaitMs 1000
testpin = 0
WaitMs 1000
Goto main

Always test one pin at a time. The PIC cannot, technically, drive all outputs at full 25mA at the same time, there is an overall current limit for each port (actually 200mA source or sink for all ports combined).

PS: Make sure the LED is the right way around....

Last edited:
upload_2017-1-22_13-17-48.png

hi Steve
Hardware works fine to your setup and code. I'm hugely relieved and grateful to you for your help. I was despairing that I'd have to abandon my project or search for some other way, but I can now resume with relative impunity.

As a point of interest, may I ask where you obtained the configuration table. It appears as if it automatically generates the numeric code 3F3A corresponding with the bit setup chosen, and looks extremely useful.

But if it isn't generally available, well c'est la vie, and many, many thanks again.

hi Steve
Hardware works fine to your setup and code. I'm hugely relieved and grateful to you for your help. I was despairing that I'd have to abandon my project or search for some other way, but I can now resume with relative impunity.

As a point of interest, may I ask where you obtained the configuration table. It appears as if it automatically generates the numeric code 3F3A corresponding with the bit setup chosen, and looks extremely useful.

But if it isn't generally available, well c'est la vie, and many, many thanks again.

I comes built into the Oshonsoft PIC Simulator IDE. Under "Options", Configuration bits... Once you set them, tell it to "generate Basic code" and it inserts it into the start of the Basic source code. (See below)
Of course, one has to ensure you have the right PIC selected first. The bits are different for different PICs

Last edited:
Thanks again. I can get on with things now. This all came about from my interest in learning how to use I2C communication, and I needed a micro equipped with the "MSSP" module enabling this protocol to be used. Bound to be back with questions about it!
Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back