Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Problem using TMRO to gate TMR1 as Counter

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpanhalt

Most Helpful Member
Chip: Enhanced mid-range (16F1829)
Environment: MPLab 8.92
Language: MPASM

Actually, this is a (another) pseudo-problem using MPLab SIM with a peripheral that won't simulate properly. I wanted to use TMR1 to count TMRO rollovers to get a long-period interrupt that would run relatively independent of the rest of the program. Setting up TMR0 is simple. It is done mostly with the OPTION_REG. No prescale was used, and bit<4> was set to increment on low-to-high transition. Setting up TMR1 is done mostly with T1CON and TIGCON. The descriptions could be a little clearer -- make that a lot clearer in the case of T1CON, bits 6-7 (i.e., TMR1CS). Hence, this post.

The problem was that when set correctly, TMR1 does not increment properly in simulation with MPLab SIM. It wasn't until after much searching and testing that I decided to do hardware simulation with an ICD3. It worked immediately.

Here are the settings for each register that worked:

T1CON: b'01000101'
Comment:
1) Bit<2> when set does not synchronize with an external clock input. I was using the internal oscillator for these tests and changing bit<2> made no noticeable difference.
2) Other sources suggest setting bit<7>, but those sources were using 16Fxxx chips. When bit<7> is set and bit<6 >is set or clear, it simply doesn't work.

T1GCON:b'11000001'
NB:Bit<6> is set, which means TMR1 counts only when its gate (controlled by TMR0)is high (i.e, during rollover).

This subject has been addressed on Stack Exchange (
https://electronics.stackexchange.c...-timer0-overflow-to-gate-timer1-on-pic12f1822 ). However, that discussion does not mention the need to do hardware simulation instead of relying on MPLab SIM.

Regards, John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back