Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Problem compiling

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigal_scorpio

Hi to all,

I am trying to compile an ASM file and getting nowhere, every way I try I just get errors.

Could someone compile it and post the HEX please or at least try it and see if they get the errors too.

Thanks in advance.....Al

PS I tried to post the code but it went past the character limit. So here is a link to the ASM http://www.talkingelectronics.com/projects/15x7Display/code/15x7DisplayFinal1.asm

You need to turn of case sensitivity. Go to Project->Build Options->Project and select tab MPLAB Assembler and turn off Case Sensitivity and it will assemble fine. You will get lots of warnings but they aren't a problem.

Mike.

hi,
Mike pipped me to the post.:)
I'll post anyway.

This compiles 'as is' with some changes, in MPLAB

Attachments

• AlsEdited1.asm
    20.3 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
We compile high level languages like C or Pascal.

ASM files are assembled by an assembler program. They do not use a compiler and are not compiled.

May sound like I am picking a nit but there is no reason to continue using the wrong term.

We compile high level languages like C or Pascal.

ASM files are assembled by an assembler program. They do not use a compiler and are not compiled.

May sound like I am picking a nit but there is no reason to continue using the wrong term.

hi H,
It didn't register I was repeating that error.:eek:

E.

Thanks Mike and Eric,

However I now can build and program the code but sadly the actual project is still not working.

Since I changed the original schematic to suit my matrixes opposite cathode and anode configuration I assumed that the problem was in the circuitry but after many days of looking and testing each component I decided to write a simple basic program to scan the matrix and low and behold it works.

The program I wrote simply turns on one led at a time and scans across then down to the next row and so on and even though I never managed to figure out how the O/P jiggled the 4017 ic to start at row one after the 7th row I can now actually see my circuit is working ok, with just a dark period while the 4017 completes its 10 rows instead of the 7 it should.

The worst part is that now I don't have any reason for the project not to work! I have tried using the O/Ps hex file and with help from you guys have now compiled his ASM ok, but sadly still no joy. This project was for a friends 60th birthday party as a bit of fun. I was hoping to scroll his name and age as we always take the mickey out of him for his panic about reaching the big 60.

Eric, how do you feel about having a look at this for me, I remember you offering to before when I was stuck once, and I could soon pop the whole lot in a box addressed to your good self.

I don't like giving up so easily (only spent about a hundred hours trying so far!) but I am running out of time.

Thanks again Al

i
Eric, how do you feel about having a look at this for me, I remember you offering to before when I was stuck once, and I could soon pop the whole lot in a box addressed to your good self.

I don't like giving up so easily (only spent about a hundred hours trying so far!) but I am running out of time.

Thanks again Al
hi Al,
You have my address, put the full project in a box and send it to me, I'll give it a go. [with any docs you have used]

Let me know when its on its way.

Eric

Hi Eric,

I cannot find your address. I thought it was in my messages which go back to 2007 but it seems not, could you PM me with it please.

Houseofwax, yes I realised that the way the datasheet looks that the reset should be connected to pin 9 (8th output) but since the O/P had made this and others have too then I decided to bow to his knowledge and assume its just one more thing I don't understand!

Thanks Al

Read the article on how the 4017 works in this particular instance. It is fully covered in the discussion. The 4017 is never "reset." It is simply cycles through its 10 outputs and it is initially cycled until the 9th output is detected by the micro. From there the 4017 is cycled and the program assumes the two chips stay in synchronisation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back