GreyHairOldGuy

PIC 18F4320
I have a flag (and a symbol)
Dim fpbc as Bit
Symbol scol = PORTD.7

I am trying to execute the following:
If scol = 1 Then fpbc = 0

scol is definately 1 but fpbc won't change from 1 to 0

When I run it through the Oshonsoft simulator it doesn't change either.

You're going to tell me I'm doing something stupid.
Please do so, but tell me where I am going wrong.

I am setting a flag and changing a count to exit from a While/Wend routine.
Perhaps that is my problem? I need to abort the count some times and didn't
think it was right for me to just jump over the Wend as I might mess up the stack?

Tks in advance - Mike

Last edited:
Hi Mike! Welcome to ETO!

Just wondering, do you have

if scol = 1

or

if scol == 1 ?

What compiler are you using? For conditional statements, they often require a double '=' sign for a test.

Good luck!
Der Strom

P.S. It may also be helpful if you could post your full code either here or on www.pastebin.com

Last edited:
@DS8! oshonsoft basic
@GHOG... Program is right.. it simulates fine, is portd configured as an input?
As DS8 said.. can you post you program

Last edited:
Program now works - Got rid of High/Low's and replaced with 1's or 0's

DerStrom & Ian:

Tks for your reply

All my flags are defined as bits. Some bits are pic I/O bits defined by Symbols.

I went through my whole program - sometimes I would say high (or low) xxxxx and sometimes I would say xxxxx = 1 (or 0)
I changed all my High (or low) xxxxx's to xxxxx = 1 (or 0) and had no more problem of my program missing "If xxxxx = 1 (or 0) Then ......"
Question: Is High xxxxx any better than xxxxx = 1 or is it simply if I use High xxxxx, then I should also use "If xxxxx = High Then ....." not "If xxxxx = 1 Then ....."

Usually my IF statements check for one or zero, so I thought I should also make all my settings the same and it worked. Is there anything else I should know about this stuff?

The comment that I should use == made me think there is probably a difference between logic and numeric compares, although I don't claim to completely understand this process yet.

One other thing I don't understand and maybe I should post it as a different question but am I correct in thinking I cannot jump out of a (IE I have to let the instruction finish normally) If .. Then / else / endif or a while / wend loop? To exit I should either set a flag or change the count?

Can you recomend a simple book/writeup etc that gives a little more explanation/some examples on this stuff?

Tks in advance

Mike

The deal with '=' or '==', in C, at least, is that '=' sets a bit or variable, whereas a '==' tests a bit or variable. I'm not sure if it is the same in oshonsoft basic or not.

In Oshonsoft, Vladimir uses TRUE , FALSE for bit evaluation and HIGH , LOW to assert a BIT.. You can use these keywords on anything other than a bit variable.

Code:
If PORTB.4 = TRUE then PORTB.1 = HIGH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…