Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Printer Module

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone suggest a printer module that I can use to interface to a microcontroller such as a PIC?

I have a project to design a small portable GSM based POS system but it needs a hard copy output.

I remember there being a line of itsy-bitsy printers years ago, so I looked in my DigiKey catalog (paper catalog), and sure enough, they're still made.

Not sure if this is what you're looking for: check out the EPL1902SC printer module. Pretty cheap (<$30), although you do need to buy an interface board for it which is not cheap ($147).

Many thanks for quick response. The US$30.00 I can handle but the US$147.00 for the interface, WOW, that makes for an expensive solution :)

The DS looks fine but I think I will look around to see if there is a cheaper alternative.

Cheers

I wonder if it's possible to drive the printer module directly. After all, you do have a little microprocessor handy ... just a thought.

That is very true. What is the interface for ? Perhaps to be driven from an OS such as Windows? All I need obviously is to send ASCII data to the printer and let it "do its thing" :)

It might be more complicated than that. I'm guessing the IF board has ROM for character generation, and that the printer module is driven at a pretty low level (select which pins to fire, carriage motion, etc.). A bit of work to come up with a workable printer, but perhaps doable? I really don't know, but maybe worth checking into.

The Sipix a6 is a GR8 solution but it seems that you need special software to drive it. I have found millions of reviews but the manual is very scarce :)

It is a matter of what basics you need, if its just text (ascii charactors) than a Pic can talk direct to a printer,

I know someone who wrote a program for a 16F88 to work as a I2C slave to a printer, so yes it can be done.

If you want graphics then its a different story.

Pete.

Nope, no graphics required, just pure and simple ASCII characters. Although the PC16F688 is a GR8 device for its UART I am using the new PIC18F26K80 with a 12-bit A2D for another function. The problem is that there is no 230Vac mains available at the site where the POS is going to be used, hence the requirement for a +12Vdc, or whatever, printer module. I would have thought that this would be an easy find :)

Check around the surplus suppliers. I've seen complete point of sale printers (the little ones) with enclosure and serial connector for $10 to $15.

As serial ports are obsolete now they get job-lots of little POS printers that have serial.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back