Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pressure control solenoid

Status
Not open for further replies.

PICer

I need to control a pressure control solenoid, basically the solenoid is controlled by using current. The current needs to be between 0 - 1.1 amps @ 4-5V (need the ability to control the current via a microcontroller in small current steps). Was thinking of using a PIC but don't know how to design the circuit? Assume use an analog output of a microcontroller to controll a transistor but it would need some kind of current sensing ability? Can anyone help or point me in the right direction? Thanks.

Since the solonoid is a linear resistance, unless you are varying the voltage very fast, it is only necessary to control the applied voltage. This circuit, using the OPA544T fro Burr-Brown will drive the solonoid.

Attachments

• PWRAMP.jpg
    PWRAMP.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 651
I was only going by what the info on the solenoid said, it didn't mention being controlled by voltage, said must the controlled by current. It's used for fluid control and 0 amp is 0% duty and 1.1amps is 60% duty cycle. So are you saying i can just use voltage to control it? I was thinking maybe using PWM would be a good alternative? I've never controlled current from a microproccessor before, Thanks for the reply.

How about the drv101 from TI, that seems to do what i need??
**broken link removed**
Think this will work??

PICer said:
I was only going by what the info on the solenoid said, it didn't mention being controlled by voltage, said must the controlled by current. It's used for fluid control and 0 amp is 0% duty and 1.1amps is 60% duty cycle. So are you saying i can just use voltage to control it? I was thinking maybe using PWM would be a good alternative? I've never controlled current from a microproccessor before, Thanks for the reply.

If you're planning using a PIC, pick one with hardware PWM (the 16F628 would be good, and easy to program as it's EEPROM based). PWM would be a lot more efficient, easier and cheaper to do. Using analogue voltage control wouldn't be a very practical way of doing it, more complicated, more expensive, and much more inefficient - but would give you heatsinks to warm your toes on :lol:

Do you have any example schematics?

I found this, seems like it would do what i need??

Attachments

• sol_sch.jpg
    sol_sch.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 503
I don't know what U1 in the diagram is, but you would need a driver transistor to feed your solenoid, you couldn't feed it directly from a chip (unless it had a suitable driver built in).

It's supposed to be able to handle 2 amps which is 1 more than i need. (U1 is labled DRV101)

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back