Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

precision fixed voltage source for summing op amp? use LM317?

Status
Not open for further replies.

danjel

I want to shift an input voltage of the range -5V to +5V into the range 0 to +10V.

My plan is to feed the input into a two input inverting summing op amp. The other input will be fed +5V so that the other voltage is always shifted up into the desired range.

My question is what is the best source for a precise 5V? Should I use an LM317?

You need an op-amp and a regulated power supply or voltage reference.

Here's a tutorial.

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Thanks I looked at that tutorial before but the example fails if you input the values I used.

e.g.

Input signal ranges from -5 to +5V, scaled to range 0-10V
V1 = -5V
V2 = 5V
Va = 0V
Vb = 10V

G = (10-0)/(5-(-5)) = 1
Vy = 0-1(-5) = 5
Vt = 5/1-1 = 5/0 DIVIDE BY ZERO NOT POSSIBLE

However if I use an inverting summer with two inputs and gain of 1 it is easy:
input 1 is the +/-5V signal. Input 2 is the 5V reference voltage (which is really what my question is about. If I used voltage divider it is not accurate enough)
Output of this summer can then be inverted with another opamp stage.

So again my question is: what should I use as the voltage reference?

p.s. My power supply is a regulated +/-12V. I also want to use as few components as possible.... should I just use precise resistors as voltage dividers???

Last edited:
I think you're right about the amplifier, I'll check tomorrow.

I've used the LM4040 before, it's very good, better than the TL431 which is more common.

EDIT:
It does have the disadvantage of not being adjustable but that doesn't matter here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back