Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Practical ways to detect plastic on a mobile robot? IR spectrum sensing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triode

I've made a mobile robot that can drive on sand, or really just a rover since it isn't yet automated just remote control. I was thinking it would be nice if it could find and remove plastic, we have a lot of plastic trash on our beaches. There aren't a lot of large objects and those are easier to clean up by hand. I'm thinking what requires an automated solution are the little bits. From a plastic cup down to the size of a fragment of a bottle cap.

It would be easy enough for it to sift the sand up, but it would find shells, bits of wood and pebbles in the mix. So I was looking at ways for it to detect plastic from other things (there would be some metal and glass too, but those are less problematic)

I looked up how they do it in automated recycling plants and found that they use IR laser diodes. That article was more of a news article about the service so it didn't cover the science. But doing a bit of searching on spectral plastic detection I found this:
https://www.idec.com/auen/technology_solution/our_core_tech/plastic_sensing.html

In summary, it says that plastics can be identified using their high absorption of waves near 1700 nm, using an Indium gallium arsenide (InGaAs) detector.

264_image001_en.jpg

I know that spectral analyzers aren't cheap. But is there some simplified, task-specific way I could use this property? Thor labs have a sensor that costs $400 that could do the job. InGaAs Fixed Gain Amplified Detector, 800-1700 nm. I even found a few on Ebay for under $300. (Edit: These also just give you one measurement not a spectrum, so I guess a filter or emission sweep would be needed here as well)

I'm thinking that considering how advanced this technology is there probably isn't a simple or cheaper way. And really $400 might be doable. Even though I am doing this as a hobby project and not as a tech startup or something that would make money.

There are also devices like this InGaAs diode for $30. But it just returns a spectrum so you would either need to have a filter that changes or change your emission to find out if there was a drop at 1700 nm. I don't know if there is a feasible way to do that.

Any ideas or suggestions to this puzzle? I'm open to modifications or a totally different approach.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I cant do it until Tuesday, but in Stranraer near to where I live, they have a central recycle centre. The recycle stuff didnt used to take plastic there, but recently they have started after a upgrade. If you like I could go look and see what they use, there are so many different plastics, I am surprised they all absorb near the same spectrum??

A two-colour near-infrared sensor for sorting recycled plastic waste

Abstract

This paper describes a simple device for automated sorting of post-consumer plastic waste. It is shown that rapid and reliable identification of certain polymers can be achieved by using a simple two-colour fixed filter near-infrared spectrometer in conjunction with a simple ratio circuit. The effectiveness of the proposed method is demonstrated in sorting of polyethylene terephthalate and polyvinyl chloride. A sensor based on this identification method is inexpensive to build and provides the necessary speed and performance required by the recycling industry.

I erm said hi in a pm ;). This was all I could find HIH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back