Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Powering LED strip from Lipo Battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flagg

Good Morning,

Im a diorama artist based in Amsterdam and I have 2 questions about how to best set up some LED's in my new upcoming project.

Question 1:
Roughly how long will a 3.7V 450mAh Lipo battery power 3x LED lights (i think they are 10 watt each)

Question 2:
I am trying to lightsome small led lights to a small lipo rechargable battery, it will have a usb port to recharge and have a toggle switch to turn on and off.
I have purchased all the parts i need (Led's, resistors, Diods, lipo battery, switch and usb port) but i am unsure of how to solid the set up.
Could someone help me out with this with a quick sketch? Please see attahced a picture of the parts i have.

Thank you so much in advance and im quite excited to learn how to do this :)

Flagg

Attachments

• IMG_9759.JPG
    IMG_9759.JPG
    677.5 KB · Views: 219
1: Power use:
The power of a battery in watt-hours can be calculated by multiplying the nominal voltage by the capacity in amp-hours.

3.7V x 0.45AH = 1.66w Watt-Hours. That's 0.166 hours at 10W load.

A 10W lamp would last about ten minutes at best, though quite likely the load current would be too high for such a small cell and it would fail rapidly.

2: Firstly, you _must_ use a proper lithium / lipo charge controller board between the USB power input and the cell or battery!
If you do not, the battery is likely to burst or catch fire.

You can easily get charging PCBs on ebay or amazon that have the proper charge control and battery protection built in.

Or one intended for making a "power bank" may be more suitable, as that should give a fixed 5V out, rather than a voltage that changes as the battery discharges.

Or just use a cheap power bank!

3x LED lights (i think they are 10 watt each)

In your attachment you show a strip of surface mount LEDs, and call them 10watt.
1615997738796.png

I am a bit sceptical that the LEDs in the black packing strip are rated at 10 watts.

As with all things, the devil is in the detail, do you have some more accurate information on the LEDs?

JimB

Hey Jim, Thanks for the quick response, i was JUST about to question that myself! I have the receipt of the parts that I purchased but there are very few details about the LED's. So no i am unsure and don't really know how to find out what wattage they are...

OK, is there a part number or type number on the receipt or on the package containing the LEDs ?

What sort of LEDs did you order?
Or did you just say "send me a bunch of LEDs" :D

JimB

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back