Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power up six LM324 from AC mains.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey.Jerry

Hello all,
I need a help from you. So,basically I want to power up six LM324 ICs. But using batteries is not cost effective for me. So, I decided to power them up from the AC mains( I know powering them directly from AC is not possible. My Questions are;
1) How can I power them up from the ac mains?
2) In total how much volts should I provide to power up them?
3) Which sort of a circuit should I make?

OR
If I am working with the ARDUINO, is that 5V enough to power them up since i use the LM324 ICs to amplify the generated electric pulse.??
Any helps will be much appreciated. Thank you :)

Welcome, Joey.Jerry!

The Arduino will work fine with up to 12VDC input, as will the LM324s.

If it were me, I get a "wall-wart" adapter that has a 12VDC output and probably at least 1A current capability. I'd also power the LM324s separately from the Arduino (with the same adapter).

If I may ask, why are you amplifying the Arduino's output pulses? Each I/O can handle 40mA.

<EDIT>Such as one of these adapters: https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=12v dc 1a power supply&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=34142234722&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15798307056046210018&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_7lsujrn3xv_b

Last edited:
Welcome, Joey.Jerry!

The Arduino will work fine with up to 12VDC input, as will the LM324s.

If it were me, I get a "wall-wart" adapter that has a 12VDC output and probably at least 1A current capability. I'd also power the LM324s separately from the Arduino (with the same adapter).

If I may ask, why are you amplifying the Arduino's output pulses? Each I/O can handle 40mA.

<EDIT>Such as one of these adapters: https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=12v dc 1a power supply&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=34142234722&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15798307056046210018&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_7lsujrn3xv_b
Hey,
I'm using my usb port to power the arduino. And i'm not amplifying the output, I'm inputing a pulse which is to be amplified. So, what i asked was will the 5V from the arduino be enough to power the lm324 ICs?

Yes.

The 5VDC output from an Arduino, when supplied from a "normal" USB (500mA max), can support about 450mA. I'd keep usage closer to a max of 350mA.

Get the data sheet for the LM324!
"Single supply 3 to 32 volts"
The inputs should work from 0V to Vcc-2v. (With a 5V supply it should work 0 to 3V)
Vcc-1.5 at room temperature. Vcc-2.0V at all temperatures.
So yes the LM324 will work from a 5V supply with some restrictions.

Do not power the Arduino board from the USB in the long run, especially if you are interfacing external signals and hardware.

Use a 9V to 12V regulated Wall-Wart as suggested, and configure the Arduino for external power. The 5V regulator on the Arduino board will take care of the 5V power. Tie the OV side of the Wall-Wart to Gnd on the Arduino.

Power the analog input amplifiers (LM324) using the 12V and OV from the Wall-Wart. The LM324's output pin can pull from near 0V to Vcc-1.5V, so if you power them from 5V, your analog signal can only go from near 0V to 3.5V. If you power them from 12V, then the LM324's output pin can swing over the entire Arduino input range of 0V to 5V.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back