Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power Transistor Voltage Source

Status
Not open for further replies.

v1.5

Hi ALL ,

I want to ask you some kind of solution for power transistor , igbt or mosfet's level shifted voltage source. On some really high power transistor needs different voltage sources for gate driver and gate triggers. For a six bridge inverter we need at least 4 different voltage levels. 3 voltage source for high side transistors and 1 for low side transistors. For that purpose 4 different and isolated voltage source can be made by a high freq. transformer which has fixed primary windings and 4 isolated/seperate secondary windings. This makes the work a bit dirty and it increases design cost /time. For that reason im looking for another method can be done without using a transformer. Is anyone know anything that we can do ?
Thank you :)

I am using MGJ2D051515SC to get isolated power. You will want a slightly different version. There is a 1W version. You probably will get 12V or 15V not my +/-15V. Make sure it has 3000 to 5000V of isolation!
Almost any of the "high/low side drivers" that are rated for 500V will work just fine. What is the voltage you are switching?

There are various "high side driver" ICs that pretty much do it for you.

eg. Look at the IR2101 or IR2110. They take logic level inputs and just need the logic supply and a supply appropriate for the low side gate drive.
The high side one can be on a supply up to 500V or more without any extra gate supply being required.

The IR2110 can supply up to 2A gate current.

I know those ic and i have been used most of my early project but im a bit confused to ability of trigger such a big igbts uaing boostrap based drivers. For example today i focused on ixgn60n60 igbt module which on sot-227 package. Can you confirm that , are boostrap based ic such as irs2110 can handle big igbt modules like ixgn60n60 ?
I am using MGJ2D051515SC to get isolated power. You will want a slightly different version. There is a 1W version. You probably will get 12V or 15V not my +/-15V. Make sure it has 3000 to 5000V of isolation!
Almost any of the "high/low side drivers" that are rated for 500V will work just fine. What is the voltage you are switching?
I also searched a bit about those modules and they seems really good job. Thank you for suggestion. And my voltage level is about 550v or 330v depending on application. Today im here for 310vdc power source inverting for high power servos.
Thanks all

I know those ic and i have been used most of my early project but im a bit confused to ability of trigger such a big igbts uaing boostrap based drivers. For example today i focused on ixgn60n60 igbt module which on sot-227 package. Can you confirm that , are boostrap based ic such as irs2110 can handle big igbt modules like ixgn60n60 ?

As long as the bootstrap cap can deliver the gate charge in a short enough time and that can be done within the current rating of the device, there is no reason why not.

Can a 2A gate drive charge or discharge the gate capacitance fast enough for your requirements?

As long as the bootstrap cap can deliver the gate charge in a short enough time and that can be done within the current rating of the device, there is no reason why not.

Can a 2A gate drive charge or discharge the gate capacitance fast enough for your requirements?
I think yes.
The max switching frequency will be 20kHz. For that reason i think it can handle with that.
According to the datasheet ixgn60n60 requires 100nA ( Iges current ). I have thought that for isolation purposes , i will use some of that modules;
I am using MGJ2D051515SC to get isolated power.
and for drivers i will use irs2114 or other part of devices that provide high current source capacity. Is that ok what do you think ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back