Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

tecilfret

excuse me masters,
may i ask what went wrong? i plugged an epson projector with power ratings of 100-230vac to an AVR outlet with 3slots for 220vac and 1slot for 110vac, i plugged it to the 110vac slot, minutes later i smelled something burning. it is the avr 'smoking' no fire, immediately unplugged everything and unscrewed the avr from its case, found out the transformer overheats. no harm comes to the projector.

thanks for the help,

looking forward to your feedbacks.

I assume by AVR you are referring to an auto voltage regulator. This will have a power output rating which will be in Watts or VA. This may be given as a current rating. This rating will probably be given separately for the 220 volt output and the 110 volt output. These ratings should be given in the specifications of the unit and probably the user manual. You need to check that the power rating of the projector is less than the rating of the output of the AVR.

Les.

Yes master Les Jones,
auto voltage regulator.
just found out my projector is
280watt, 100-240v,
and the AVR is 100watts 110v,

so now that it happened already,
is my avr still safe to use??
or do i need to purchase a new one?

is my avr still safe to use??
From 1000s miles away it is hard to tell the answer.
If I was there it might be hard to say.

I think the AVR is "OK" to use, if it is still working. (use it on a small load like your cell phone charger and see if it works). Or use a small light bulb.

You now know the projector is 3 times to big for the AVR. I think a fuse should have opened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back