Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power Supply for LCD and Camera

Status
Not open for further replies.
So again, you could string "D" cells together (10 of them, say) to get 15 volts. You'll need a 12-volt and a 5-volt regulator.

It'll work; the question is how long it will work before it poops out.

But then I can always get more batteries and do that all over again thats not bad because I would have battery holders so all I would have to do is replace them and go along my merry way.
For the regulator all I have to do is put the wire that goes from the battery holder connect that to the appropriate regulator that is in the heat shield by soidering the wire to the regulator an then another wire from the regulator to the device (camera/lcd) is that right? Or is there a regulator holder or do I need one of those bread board things I seen at radio shack?

First off, look again at my schematic in post #4, which shows how the regulator is wired. You'll need to add the 2nd (12-volt) regulator. You should have a bypass capacitors on both of them as shown. Be sure to connect the regulators correctly (check the datasheet for the IC for pin assignments).

You can physically wire it up any number of ways. My preference is to use perfboard, which is insulated circuit board material with lots of little holes drilled in it. You stick the components through the board and solder wires on the backside. You can then mount the board inside your battery box so it won't be banging around inside of it.

It's called a "heat sink".

You don't want to use a breadboard. Those are fine for experimenting with circuits (with limitations), but not for completed projects. For one thing, they're expensive, compared to perfboard. And they only hold the wires in by spring force.

Last edited:
Ok I think I got everything and now I want to run down my shopping list to make sure I get everything I need

Regulators:
1 X 5v
1 X 12v
2 X heat sinks 1for each regulator
Some number X D Battery holders and D Battery = to 10 in number a combo like 1 4D holder with a 2D holder and then another 2D closer to the camera
1 X perfboard like this one https://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/PC-2/SOLDERABLE-PERF-BOARD/1.html

And I think that concludes my shopping list.
I hope I did not forget anything

Thanks again carbonzit, audioguru, and House0Fwax for helping me and walking me though this thing

I would split the 10 "D" cells 5 & 5: run the 5V regulator off half of them (=7.5V), and the 12V regulator off the whole shebang (15V). Not sure if you can get odd-numbered holders; you might have to hack some 2- and 4-cell holders (easily done, just solder a couple wires between them).

Don't forget a nice box or project case to put it in, plus mounting hardware (screws, nuts, standoffs, etc.). Plus you might want to get some connectors (plugs & jacks) so you can plug your stuff into the power box. I'd use the barrel-type miniature (2.1mm or 2.5mm) power connectors. Check Jameco for these.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back