Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

POWER SUPPLY FOR CASSETTE DECK

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ Feeel

Hello all on here, i was wondering if someone on here could help me out. I just purchased a second hand cassette deck on ebay and found that it need's to be powered from the amplifier at 25 volt's at 15 watt's. I have managed to find a 24 volt plug transformer at 24 volt's and from one amp to 5 amps . Will this work or will i need to fit a resistor to cut the wattage down a bit?. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated, thank's.

Last edited:
Also if it would work, i also need how to connect the transformer to the right wire's to avoid damaging the cassette deck in any way. So i need to know what colour the positive wire would be on both the transformer and cassette deck, Thank's again and if a resistor is required then what type and value?.

You don't need a resistor - the cassette deck will take only the power it needs and no more.

Transformers do not have a positive wire, they output AC volts. If your cassette deck is powered from AC it doesn't matter which way round it's connected.

"I have managed to find a 24 volt plug transformer at 24 volt's and from one amp to 5 amps ".

Keep in mind that "transformer" implies AC in and AC out so make sure the cassette deck is powered by AC and not DC unless the cassette deck is DC powered and your power source, as you call it a "transformer" actually is a 24 VDC supply. If the cassette deck is DC powered you want to make sure when you apply power it is the correct polarity.

Ron

I remember cassette decks. Mine was retired about 20 years ago when it still worked pretty well. I replace it with a portable MP3 player that stored music on its hard drive.

You could post the model # or at least a pic of the power connections.

A ~ usually means AC whereas a mark such as a straight line with marks on top usually means DC, DC has polarity that MATTERS. Ac does not.

The current rating of the supply can be higher that what;s required. With P=VI and 15=25*I; I=25/15 Amps, = 5/3 A or 1.66 amps.

Know if it's AC or DC and get the polarity right if it is DC. Power bricks can be regulated and unregulated as well.

Ok many thank's guy's, I had to get the deck as i have a lot of great soulful house music on tape and i need to record them onto Cds.

So if the Transformer is DC then i need to be sure i get the polarity right. Is there a simple way i could check this, many thank's. Also the deck run's at 15 watt's so will one amp be ok for this too?. Thank's.

If you post us somepics of the power supply and the cassette deck we'll see if we can advise you further.
Sounds like you'll be able to get it working with what you have.
What about the audio in and outs, are these on connectors or just wires.
Yes polarity is imprtant, get it wrong and most likely pop!, your power supply can supply 24 watts or less, so 15 is fine.

OK, the problem here is that it's NOT a stand alone cassette deck, essentially it's part of a cheap music system, separated off to give the impression that it's separates. There are essentially two variations on this theme, one has ribbon cables connecting the two items (in fact probably connecting them all), and one has no power supply in it (with power fed from the main unit it's part of) and separate phono/RCA sockets for IN and OUT - presumably it's this type? (otherwise it's useless).

Mostly the power for the cassette is just AC, fed from a winding in the main unit.

A good idea would be to google the make and model, and find a service manual - it will be obvious then what's required.

I would imagine there's also a good chance it doesn't work?, most cassette decks are long since worn out.

Ok thank's will post some pictures when i get the power transformer. The audio side in and out are phono socket's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back