Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power supply/ current supply design

Status
Not open for further replies.

inkedallusion

I am working on a custom designed power supply for my tattoo equipment. I am looking at a commercial bought power supply and it basically is an unregulated power supply. When I hook the leads to the output, it reads 39 volts. It uses a non-center tapped transformer, which reads 28.4 Vac across the secondary. This goes to a bridge rectifier rated at 2 A output and 400V. The filtering caps are 1000uF electrolyctic at 200WV. This is all fed to a 25W 25 Ohm rheostat. I am trying to figure out if a regulated supply is a better idea, and why the commercial supply is unregulated. I have studied how to design unregulated supplies, but I am not sure what the load on the supply will be once I hook my tattoo gun up to it. Are the 200 V caps really necessary? That seems like overkill to me. What about the power rheostat? Does it have to be a 25 Watt? Also, I have looked at specs on other supplies and they are usally around 15 volts and 1.5 amp and are regulated. Can anyone help me?
Eric

My opinion is that a regulated supply is almost always better.

There is really only one reason to choose an unregulated supply over a regulated supply: That is $$$ money. If a manufacturer sells to unsuspecting customers who don't know the difference, they can make more profit on an unregulated supply.

The reason for the 200V capacitors, is probably just a safety factor. Better to overrate them, than underrate them (bearing in mind that the peak secondary voltage is about 40V)

For your purposes, probably a simple 3-terminal regulator will do the job. (either 78xx series or an adjustable one, like LM350K)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back