Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power Supply based power adapters ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaverickI

Hi,

I have DSL modem which uses 9V DC 500mA power adapter (transformer based). Couple of days ago my this adapter got fried, since than I have tried these 3 adapters and all got fried just after few hours usage.

9V DC 500mA
ii) 9V DC 850mA
iii) 9V DC 1A (1000 mA)
( still wondering how come my original adapter worked for 8 months if these adapters are so sensitive on voltage fluctuation )

Now someone has suggested me to use power supply based power adapters(which usually comes with scanner etc ).

I would like to know how is power supply adapters are better than transformer based adapters ?

And I have one power supply adapter which came with my external HD ,its a 12V DC 2A adapter and it takes 100 - 240 AC , can I use this adapter with my DSL modem ?

Thanks for you suggestions.
Maverick

Most likely you have a failure inside the Modem which is overloading the adapters.

Your DSL modem got fried first! Its drawing to much power now. Thats likely why they are burning out. It probably killed the first one that way. The rest were just follow ups.

hmmm ... thats a worrying news...

well how can I confirm this issue that problem lies in my modem ?

Thanks for your help.
Maveric

should I try my 12V power supply adapter on this modem ?
and whats difference between Transformer based and power supply based adapter ?

Last edited:
power supply based adapter

I don't even know what that is! But I think you need a new modem.

EDIT: Ok, maybe I've figured it out... power based means with rectification and filtering???? If so, then I don't think that's going to help.

Hook up a 12V car battery and see what blows up first :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back