Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power supply 250 AC input 10000 output

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everybody. I just visited a small inverter company. There I saw a guy who must be an engineer. He was creating a circuit with a transformer, IGBT and some pcbs containing mosfets. I asked him what he was doing. He told that he wants 10,000 V AC 300 mA power supply from 250 V AC input. I don't know why he wanted to do so. But he told me that he was trying to get it since two months.
Is it that difficult to achieve? What should be circuit, components (like OPAMP?) and all? I just wanted to know. Thanks.

Hi everybody. I just visited a small inverter company. There I saw a guy who must be an engineer. He was creating a circuit with a transformer, IGBT and some pcbs containing mosfets. I asked him what he was doing. He told that he wants 10,000 V AC 300 mA power supply from 250 V AC input. I don't know why he wanted to do so. But he told me that he was trying to get it since two months.
Is it that difficult to achieve? What should be circuit, components (like OPAMP?) and all? I just wanted to know. Thanks.
I would hope that there's an error in your description and what he really wants is 300 uA (micro amps) at 10 kV. Otherwise, perhaps the reason he's been failing for two months is that he didn't do the math and does not realize how much output power he's asking his circuit to provide.

He told that he wants 10,000 V AC 300 mA power supply
Thats a lot of power! maybe its 30ma.
He may have other requirements as well like efficiency with may be harder to achieve.
If its a production unit then cost may be a driving factor.

We (the company I used to work for) used to use voltage transformers that were rated at 11kV. They were very big and worked under oil. I'm pretty sure they were only rated at mAs but did have to survive lightening strikes so, probably not a good comparison.

If the current requirement is wrong then a neon sign transformer may suffice (10kV@30mA).

Mike.

I don't know but the input or output may be DC. But as there were probes coming out of oscilloscope connected somewhere in the circuit ( so it must be AC). And the rest description is right. And no they are not doing that for production. They have to do it for a lab.
They are not using "that" big transformer but half sqft from top. Also some small transformers.
And so many mosfets with heatsinks. May be about 50 or more.
I was googling, I found some flyback thing. Can it be used here?

They are not using "that" big transformer but half sqft from top. Also some small transformers.
And so many mosfets with heatsinks. May be about 50 or more.
Then it is not a simple transformer. Probable the output is regulated and probably DC.
I found some flyback thing. Can it be used here?
Flyback is typical for high voltage. (square wave)
In CRT TV sets and CRT monitors they use a resonant flyback design. (half sign wave)

I think I'm very new for this to understand. Still not getting answers. I will post if got total details and requirements.
Thanks for your replies. :)

Transformers in the 10 - 15 KV range are pretty common for Neon Sign use but... those are generally in the 30 mA range. Over the years these large heavy transformers are being replaced with smaller, lighter SMPS type power supplies. Again while high voltages of around 12 to 15 KV they are relatively low current at 30 mA or less. I haven't a clue where these guys are going with 10KV @ 300 mA. Beats me. :)

Ron

=3KW 10kv
This is a death machine.
One mistake and you are cooked.
Smoked!
Scrape you off the walls and poke you in the ground.

I working in a 20kw transmitter. (7kv) One of the engineers before me brushed up against the supply line. He did not make good contact. He survived, but he never worked again. Really messed him up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back