Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

power port for gps

Status
Not open for further replies.

imbmetz1

hi guys, first time posting here after i found this site after days of searching for a part for my gps. hopefully you guys are more resourceful then i am.

I need a few power ports for Magellan meastro 4000 gps that I have.. Would anybody be able to point me in the right direction as to where i can buy these. i can find them for laptops all day long but not for a gps. i know i could adapt pretty much any generic one but id rather not if i can help it. i
have attached pics of the port i need

any help would be greatly appreciated. bill

Attachments

• IMG_0067.jpg
    IMG_0067.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 330
  • IMG_0065.jpg
    IMG_0065.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 328
Check digikey out, you'll have to measure the hole size and center conductor size as well to find a match. The hard part is figuring out what catagory in =\ I have no idea what the little things are technically called, or even if they have a proper name aside from power plug.

Last edited:
thanks Sceadwian, i have looked on that site and i did see where you can buy those ports if you know the size. ill have to measure it and see what they come up with...thanks for the info. bill

A good way to measure small stuff like that is with a ruler and a high resolution digital camera that has a macro focus feature. Take a picture of the ruler and the connector when the ruler is at exactly the same distance from the camera as the end of the connector is, you can then using image editing software, blow it up and count the number of pixels between two edges of the mm side of the ruler and then count the number of pixels the connector is. If you can get a good in focus image you could do 1/100th of a mm or better for resolution.

Last edited:
thanks Sceadwian, ive done what you suggested and im closer then i ever was, but cant find the exact configuration but atleast im close now..there is literally thousands of connectors that i have to search through till i find the right one because all have something differnt about them even when you know the size. thanks again for your help Sceadwian.

bill

ALL That is necessary for the Triumph Of evil is
That good men do nothing.

Yeah, that's digikeys biggest problem, too many products it's often a real problem finding the exact one you need.

i got what i needed Sceadwian. thanks for pointing me in the right direction. the ones i got from digi-key are better then the ones installed at the factory.

thanks again for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back