Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power Handling capacity of Inductor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to select a core for inductor. Specs are as follows:
I max=30A
I min =10A
L=10uH
voltage across inductor = 60V
on time = 4us
total time =10us
What should be the power handling capacity of the inductor core?
Also, Does it even matter while selecting the core for inductor.
Note: I am selecting core using Area Product method)

Yes, core material matters for power (saturation current). For frequency too. I think you need a ferrite core with that pulse width. Ferrite doesn't have the best power handling. Sorry I can't help more. Magnetics is not my thing.

What are you doing with it?

Voltage across the inductor says nothing about the total voltage that is delivered to the load, so from the parameters you gave you cannot say how much power can pass through the inductor. A circuit diagram where you want to use it would be nice and remove some questions.
Also you need to know the max. RMS current in the inductor, so that you can calculate the crossection of the wire.

RMS current in the inductor, so that you can calculate the crossection of the wire.
Yes, rms for the wire but that is the only time I use rms. In this case I would use Litz wire or copper strap. 30A
I would keep core saturation away from 30A. Peak current in the worse case conditions. I do not like to saturate under a short circuit condition.
Look for core loss with a P-P current of +10 to +30A.
Just to double check my answers I check core loss and saturation using VT and also LI.

What should be the power handling capacity of the inductor core?
With out knowing "boost" or "buck" or "isolated", or ….. I can not guess what the power is?

Have a look at ferroxcube's (now philips?) Etd series of transformers.
You can use them as a 2 lead inductor.
Maybe something like an Etd44.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back