Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power from Car Battery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look into a class "D" amp. It will do the job efficiently. Speakers don't do very well without speaker boxes, you may find managing size-efficient speakers will be even more of an issue than the battery.

Non-sealed (flooded) lead acid batteries only generate hydrogen when charging rapidly or overcharging. Realistically, it is a small amount and mainly presents a risk if a small enclosed box is used.

Charging is difficult. As noted, this may blow the cigarette lighter's 10 amp fuse. Also, an alternator usually regulates at a voltage good for floating a battery, but is lower than desired for bulk charging. It will take a lot of engine time, in the hours.

You can get a charger specifically designed for it. If you can only find a 120V charger, get a power inverter.

Some older alternators burn up under surprisingly little added load. Something to consider.

A solar panel would need to be large. The rated current is for the best of direct sunlight, which doesn't happen many hrs out of the day.

Given your description, I would recommend sealed lead acid gel batteries, there's a size of around 17 amp hrs used for UPS & other bulk storage and accounts for 80% of SLAs sold. You may need a couple of them, which has the benefit of being able to charge one while using another. 3 hrs of music is not an unreasonable expectation, but it depends on amp & speaker efficiency and just how much sound we're talking about. It may last 1 hr or 12 hrs.

This is apparently an obscure definition of "camping" which I am not familiar with. Scouting has changed... starting to sound more like a rave.

Oznog said:
This is apparently an obscure definition of "camping" which I am not familiar with. Scouting has changed... starting to sound more like a rave.
lol, camping in the loosest possible sense of the word... Seriously though, it is a major cocern the scouts still have the same image as they did in the 1960's, despite the fact that we have changed a lot. Its an ongoing problem. (just in case your interested, **broken link removed** site may give you some idea of what we do now)

Speakers don't do very well without speaker boxes
I had considered that, and intended to try and build some sort of box into the final design. I don't know how well it will work, but I'm going to try it.

Thanks for ALL the advice, I shall now go away and do some serious research, and try to perusade the rest of my unit that they want to spend the money on this.

Thanks for everything, I couldn't do these things without you lot.

Tim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back