Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power Factor Measurement

Status
Not open for further replies.

vik1501

Can somebody provide me with circuit for calculating power factor using standard components ?

I tried to build circuit, but could not measure pf correctly. First the output of voltage and a current transformer were amplified and fed to zero crossing detector ( using LM339).

These zero crossing TTL outputs of LM339 were give to microcontroller and time difference calculated using s/w.

However the circuit behaves erratically for inductive loads. My querries are

1. Is filtering of o/ps of voltage & current transformers arre needed ?
2. If yes , the is there an IC which can do this or shall I design my own low pass filter especially to do with inductive loads which produce high noise on the line and I found that the waveforms are distored

Regards,

Yes you need filters. There is a lot of noise on power supply lines.

I suggest either a low pass or band pass. The filters could either be LC or active.

There have been enquiries in the past in this forum about filters. So I suggest you do a search for eithe "filters" or "active filters"

Len

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back