Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power factor correction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
I'm doing my lv3 electricial course. I don't get the following question. But I have a feeling it's a time constant. If so I just earned myself my browney points and perhaps am not as thick as I think I am.

A pf correction capacitor is required to draw a current of 10 A from a 240 volt 50hz supply. Calculate the capacitance of the capacitor?

The impedance of a capacitor is -j/ωC
where ω is the angular frequency, or 2π times the frequency in Hz

I'll ignore the phase of the impedance, because that isn't asked for, so we can call it 1/ωC

so 240 = 10 * 1/ωC

C = 10 / (240 * 2 * π * 50) = 133 µF

thanks alot. I found something on google. I did it a different way.

So Q is the same as var because thats where the capacitor gets it's power from right? I got the same answer as you 0.132629119 x10(to power -3). Browney points for both of us I think:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back