Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power Distribution Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

jameske

Hi everyone,
I am completing a research project on power stations in Victoria (Australia). Does anyone know where I could get a map or something that can show me the transmission towers and cables, locations, routes and voltages of the main power stations in Victoria?

Also, where can I go for information on voltages in and out of terminal stations?

Thanks

Usually there is a power authority of some sort. I would check with the power companies that supply the city. At the very least, they can tell you where to go.

I think it's most likely restricted information and is not to be published to anyone who want it.
Maybe the provider can give such a map if you ask kindly.

Yeah ask them for the map that shows the weakest point of the power distribution grid... You know, the place that if it failed would take out the power to the whole state. It's ok it's for a school project. ;)

What I would do is get an appointment with one of the engineers at the power company and ask them how power distribution works from generation plant to end-user and design a GENERIC system to demonstrate the voltages, currents, etc. needed to get power from Point A to Point B. You need to include a discussion of the power grid concept where generator plants in one part of the system can work down through the "loads" to supply power to other parts.

Last edited:
This information is not confidential in the US. It's needed many times when you are building a house (or other such things) to make sure you don't dig up existing power/utility lines. It would be strange if it was considered confidential.

You might get charged a fee, and you might get some pushback on wanting the entire grid, but there should be some information there.

What I would do is get an appointment with one of the engineers at the power company and ask them how power distribution works from generation plant to end-user and design a GENERIC system to demonstrate the voltages, currents, etc. needed to get power from Point A to Point B. You need to include a discussion of the power grid condept where generator plants in one part of the system can work down through the "loads" to supply power to other parts.
That sounds expensive.

I think it's most likely restricted information and is not to be published to anyone who want it.
Maybe the provider can give such a map if you ask kindly.

Yea its pretty amazing how they manage to run those giant lines all over the place without an one ever wondering what they are for, where come from and where they go.:rolleyes::D

My local power utility will give anyone a brochure with a full map of the regional national power grid and sub feeds just so they can see exactly how the power goes from the generating plants to their house. :)

Stop by yours and see what they say. You may just be surprised at what you get!

Have a look at Google earth; you might be able to see power lines from there.

Ok I'm on a mission!!

Would you like some James Bond or Mission Impossible music with that? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back