Power converter AC -> DC

Status
Not open for further replies.

linuxglobal

Hey guys, i want to make up a power converter from AC -> DC.

I want to use this on a go kart, is there any way to use a second coil generator, the same as the ignition coil but in a different location to set up a generator/charger?.

The 2nd coil would be separate from the ignition and it would not take any power from the spark. I know some mechanical energy will be lost since the motor will be slowed a little. However i will be using a smaller coil than the spark to help the problem.

The motor coil for the spark gets about 500V at Ac, i would want to convert that into 12V DC to power the karts lighting, and to charge the batteries during the day.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

I see this done on small engines all the time. They have a charging coil as well as a spark coil. The Charging coil can be purchased thru your local small engine shop. Just make sure you get the larger Amp coil. They usually make a 3 amp and an 18 amp. You also need to purchase a voltage regulator that goes to that coil.

Attachments

• gx360_es_wiring.gif
    55.2 KB · Views: 773
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…