Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power an LCD Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdb_eri

OK all you electronics wizzards, here's my question. I bought an LCD-TV for my boat which has a 12V negative ground system (same as a car). The TV mfr. does not supply a car adapter. The power supply for the TV outputs 12 VDC (I measured it at 12.3 V). The problem as I see it is that the voltage for the boat's system can vary from approx. 11 to 15 depending on charge state. I can't find any devices that will take normal car/boat battery voltage and stabilize at 12.0 +/- 5% or less. I could use an inverter but turning 11 - 15 volts to 110 VAC and then turning it back to 12 VDC again seems incredibly inneficient. All of the stabilization circuits I've seen require that the input voltage be at least 2V above the desired output. Any ideas anyone?? Thanks!

If this TV-model designed for car application, it can work from 11V up to 14.5V. (see manual) Anyway apply an LDO regulator.

LDO Regulator

Thanks much for the reply. Don't think this LCD was specifically designed for in-car use. Works fine with an inverter.

Also, hate to show my ignorance but what is an LDO regulator and where could I possibly get one for 12 VDC. Thanks again.

LDO = Low Drop Out. An LDO regulator can operate with a small input-output differential. For example, the LM317 operates down to about 1.2V.

Hi, Phasor the definition of LDO is correct, but LM317 not an LDO.
gdb_eri, search on Linear Techology or National Semiconductor website an LDO with enough current capability. I use LT 1085

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back