Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

power adapters

Status
Not open for further replies.
The circuit breakers panel in my daughters new home had the location of the circuits written in a foreign language or something so I connected a plug to a shorted cable and popped (and located) each breaker and indicated the receptacles and lights it powered. No fire, smoke nor sparks.
An engineering method to learn foreign language! Hee hee

The circuit breakers panel in my daughters new home had the location of the circuits written in a foreign language or something so I connected a plug to a shorted cable and popped (and located) each breaker and indicated the receptacles and lights it powered. No fire, smoke nor sparks.

Good job that the circuit breakers were not fakes made in a foreign country.

JimB

JimB
Nice point! Some 5A breakers around me are VERY hard to push to ON and OFF. These are fake and built-in jammed. So during short-circuit, whole device (maybe home too) will burn instead of automatic OFF.

JimB
My electrical utility company gave away compact fluorescent light bubs for free to encourage using them instead of power-hungry incandescent light bulbs. They all needed to be recalled and replaced because the Chinese manufacturer stole the certification label number from another company so they were never certified to be safe. Some caught on fire and dripped burning plastic.

I still test 9v pp3's that way.
Mains in yer mouth is a lucky survival.

I'd better not tell you how I I know its not possible to override a mcb by holding it up.

I still test 9v pp3's that way.
A battery is supposed to be able to provide some current. The little 9V alkaline battery in your smoke detector that has not been used for one year is almost dead. Its voltage is still higher than 8V so it will "taste" the same as a new powerful battery but it cannot supply anywhere near the 300mA for one hour like the new battery can. A battery tester is supposed to put a load on the battery so it produces current, your tongue doesn't.

I'd better not tell you how I I know its not possible to override a mcb by holding it up.
mcb are 3 letters that do not mean anything. What is it?
What do you mean "override" and "holding it up"? Holding something up is a delay time, isn't it?

Was he permanently injured? Tasting? Talking?
He was lucky, he had been kicked out from there to the floor (2 meter far). I saw two small pin holes on his tongue (one) and on his lip (another). Holes was not big. He was fine.

dr pepper said: ↑ I'd better not tell you how I know its not possible to override a mcb by holding it up.
I am also confused. There in hill area in my country, there are many local micro hydropowers. Produced powers is very low and just able to light bulbs for few villages. So they limited current per house using 0.5A MCB (Mains Circuit Breaker). But people were pulling the MCB lever to ON (holding it up?) by using a small piece of roap. Thinking to use more currents by the hacking! :)

Two days ago my electrical utility company replaced the transformer serving 12 homes on my street because it was 30 years old. Each home has 120V/200A so the transformer might be rated at 288kW but I doubt every home will draw 200A at the same time.
The transformer is sitting on a concrete holder that is on top of the ground but the wires to the homes are underground. The transformer is a little more than 1m high, about 1m deep and about 1.5m wide. Another hinged part in front covers the many connections to it.

I'm sure its against forum policy to advise bad practice so I wont go into detail, however in the uk standards are such that you cannot override a circuit breaker by fastening it up.
0.5A is hardly anything, you'll really need to be carefull what you plug in, I have a narrow boat that has a 12v battery and power system I have to be carefull about what I use, there is mains ac power but thats only present with the engine running, I have to have a checklist of things to charge up when the engines running.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back