Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

power adapters

Status
Not open for further replies.

michael8444

im farely new at all this tech stuff but realy find it enjoyable and i love watching by 7 year olds face when i hand him 2 crocidile clamps a 9 v batt and a computer fan and he laughs and smiles every time he powers that fan up....you got to love the more complicated things in life..lol

1 What has this post to do with "Power Adapters" ??

2 Do not post your question about power adaptors as a PM (Conversation) directly to members.

JimB

1...im sorry ...new at this site and this tech stuff...
2 ...it says your a most helpful member ...again....i am sorry just trying to complete my build

The usual thing is to post your question here in the forum, that way many people will see the question and may respond with most helpful suggestions.

Posting something which is not obviously related to the title of the thread is unlikely to endear you to anyone.

JimB

im farely new at all this tech stuff but realy find it enjoyable and i love watching by 7 year olds face when i hand him 2 crocidile clamps a 9 v batt and a computer fan and he laughs and smiles every time he powers that fan up....you got to love the more complicated things in life..lol
Welcome to ETO, michael8444!

Your son's response is, as I recall, very similar to my reaction to connecting things together that resulted in an action (even to this day). Your son is a lucky young man...

In my childhood, watching some traces of a tiny PCB of table clock with Tit-Tit-Tit-Tit alarm, I thought that such trace wiring making the sound posssible. There was a small black dirty glue patched around centre (later knew that this was an IC). I made same wiring (just wiring) in a thick paper making some holes. I spent few hours but failed! This was my first unsuccessful project of making alarm circuit, just using wires.

Last edited:
I spent few hours but failed!
You forgot to use a felt-tip pen to draw the "small black dirty glue patch", Willen :).

You forgot to use a felt-tip pen to draw the "small black dirty glue patch", Willen :).
Oh yes! Now I understood that why that was not working! I had tried to make that patch too but when I had broken the black patch, there was nothing attractive inside so I ignored that dirty thing.

I did some projects in my very early of childhood which were failure too-

1) Seeing inside the electrolytic capacitor, I tried to make my own. I took two razor blade and placed a piece of paper between the blades and poured bicycle engine oil (my own electrolytic liquid). Then connected these two blades to 220V mains. BOOM!

2) To make 220V to 5V linear transformer, I had collected lot more thin wires from different variety of sources like burned transformers (burned insulator), from flexible wires (has no insulator), speakers, inductors etc. SWG of these were around 18 to 40. Started to wind. Every 10-15 turns of winding, I poured a paper glue to make tight the winding. Very hardly the wires made 800 turns. After the winding, connected to mains socket and turned ON the switch with 3 meter long stick....BOOM! Felt lucky that I survived!

From these days, still breaking and burning things. :)

Last edited:
Welcome Mike.
I remember when I was that kid playing with a 9v battery, didnt have computer fans then led's hadnt been out long either.

Welcome Mike :)

When I was about 10 years old I tripped over a table lamp lead and snapped it. Not wanting to incur the wrath of my parents I visited my dad's workshop and found another piece of wire that looked the same, hid in my bedroom with the lamp and struggled to remove the plug from the old wire and then struggled even more to fit it to the end of the new flex. This was, of course, in the days before plugs had square legs and fuses .. .. .

When I eventually managed it, I plugged it in and grabbed the other end to check there was electric coming through !!! :arghh:

I used to have very curly hair !

S

One of the best childhood mishaps I've heard for a while.

Just answer one question - did any electric come through.

Hi Dr P .. ..

Did any electric come through, to be honest I'm not sure .. .. . I presume so, because I do remember having some sort of wound on my hand .. and a very thick ear !! :)

S

I haven't been shocked (the electric kind) for MANY years until a few days ago. I was helping my son fix a Chinese LCD TV with its back open. I leaned on top of two metal covers with one arm and they were 120VAC apart. It didn't hurt, it sort of vibrated my arm for one second. I remembered to only use one arm in those things.

I dont remember anything really daft though I'm sure I had my fair share of silly deeds.

My wife in her youth hastily connected up a hairdryer or something like that and didnt have time to fit the rear cover on the mains plugtop, and proceed to plug the thingin using the palm of her hand agaisnt the bare terminals, Idont think that will ever happen again.

My first "circuit" consisted of a standard, molded two prong male plug with leads, SPST light switch and a light bulb socket like that of a bedside lamp. Think I was 7.

Hooked two wires to the socket connections and, seeing only two connectors on the switch, wound both leads from the socket together and attached them to one of the switch connections and, following that scheme, did the same with the plug wires. Looked right to me.

Plugged it in while holding the socket... :woot:. First introduction to outlet sparks, muscular seizures and, eventually, the concept of fuses...

The circuit breakers panel in my daughters new home had the location of the circuits written in a foreign language or something so I connected a plug to a shorted cable and popped (and located) each breaker and indicated the receptacles and lights it powered. No fire, smoke nor sparks.

One of the best childhood mishaps I've heard for a while.

Just answer one question - did any electric come through.
In childhood we used to test small battery voltage by touching it by our tongue. The voltage was sour little. :) When my village got electricity mains lines, my brother tasted the 'two wires at once' of 230V mains by his tongue!

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back