Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

power 10x 50w gu10 downlights

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuee

Hi.
Im making some flood wash lights for my band stage.
Im getting some metal laser cut and mounting the bases for the gu10 to the back panel and sinking the lights in the round hole at the font.

I have a dmx controller that will enable a relay
https://www.jaycar.com.au/dmx-relay-control-kit/p/KV3612

and it works after i built it.

these are the lights
https://www.bunnings.com.au/arlec-50w-300lm-halogen-gu10-dimmable-globes-warm-white-10-pack_p4320444

So how can i power these lights without a transformer for each one?

I know i will need some sort of power source, im even happy to have 1 box that plugs to all 3 of these units i want to build (ie 3units / 10x 50w gu10 each unit. then i can use 3 dmx controllers in the 1 box to control all 3 and only have 1 power source.
I also want so they go off slow, so not like led where its instant but light a house light globe where you turn off and half a sec is dimms to off.

Hopefully someone will help with my dilemma

The lights you linked to appear to be 230V units and don't need a transformer. The 12V ones are the ones with two thin pins for connections not the large round pins your link shows.

Mike.

BTW, why aren't you using LEDs? The equivalent LEDs will take less than 100W and could be powered by two transformers.

Mike.

ahh yes thats ok then, im happy with 240v :) i just to be used as a stage wash light which only on like at the start or a big note bit to kind of blind people if you catch my drift.
I thought the gu10 would be more realistic than led, unless there is led gu10 that would put out more power than 50w halogen?

In my experience, the LEDs are as bright as the halogens but run much cooler which is a big consideration in an enclosure.

Mike.

what wattage would you suggest then?
how would i get that dimming effect at the end, also used on 240v still would be good to simplify things

In my experience, the LEDs are as bright as the halogens but run much cooler which is a big consideration in an enclosure.

I would agree - the days of incandescent lights are long gone - LED are far better, and even brighter.

While the MUCH greater efficiency is a huge bonus, even more so is the MUCH greater reliability, those halogen lights are always failing - if you've got ten, better carry at least two spares, it's rare to find multiples were all are working. I was VERY happy to upgrade the ones where I used to work to LED, it was close to a daily job going round replacing the halogen ones that had failed.

Hate to be despondant, I replaced 20 x outdoor floods 18 months ago, reasonable quality expensive units, now most of them have failed.
That doesnt mean to say dont use them though.
One consideration, if you making these things flash they draw a good amount of inrush as theres usually a cap across the supply after rectification, the switching device needs to be well over rated.

We've got 30-some LED bulbs in the house. Of those, 2 have failed, which were in the first batch purchased 6 or 7 years ago. I'm my experience, LED bulbs are quite reliable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back