Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

POV wheels for bike & car

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrDEB

Now this looks cool!
QUESTION? why are they using an ATMEL? instead of say an 18F chip?
what is an ATMEL and in the bike link they appearently don't use a programmer? or did I miss it.
Wonder how hard it would be to convert this POV bike display to a PIC running at say 20mhz instead of 8mhz and using a better chip? or is this AMTEL the best solution?
This could be a nice project to build but not for $100.
Now the car wheels $12000 boy like I have money to burn.

SpokePOV - Persistence of Vision For Your Bike!

**broken link removed**

Now this looks cool!
QUESTION? why are they using an ATMEL? instead of say an 18F chip?
what is an ATMEL and in the bike link they appearently don't use a programmer? or did I miss it.
Wonder how hard it would be to convert this POV bike display to a PIC running at say 20mhz instead of 8mhz and using a better chip? or is this AMTEL the best solution?

ATMEL is just a manufacturer like MicroChip is, there are many types of microcontrollers, and the ATMEL AVR is the second most popular, after the MicroChip PIC.

You could replace the controller using a PIC, but you would then have to write your own software, far easier to use the ATMEL device and the existing software.

Be more fun to create own code?

A preprogramed chip cost $4 but you need to spend $100 for the kit.
Which is the better chip Amtel or Microchip?

Which is better Apple or Orange.

Comparing PICs and AVRs is an ongoing endless debate. They're both microcontrollers and both have their pros & cons.

I personally like PICs but there's nothing wrong with AVRs.

the ATMEL AVR is the second most popular, after the MicroChip PIC

Not exactly.

The most popular microcontroller (core) is still 8051.
The most used core in industry is ARM.

There are about 30 manufacturers using 8051 core for their micro (Silabs, NXP, Atmel, etc.)

Most SoCs use ARM core (mobile phones, various hand-held devices, consumer electronics, military devices, etc.)

What is better: AVR or PIC?

ARM.

Not exactly.

The most popular microcontroller (core) is still 8051.
The most used core in industry is ARM.

There are about 30 manufacturers using 8051 core for their micro (Silabs, NXP, Atmel, etc.)

Exactly, there are many manufacturers of those devices - but only MicroChip make PIC's, and outsell any other individual processor type from one manufacturer.

Most SoCs use ARM core (mobile phones, various hand-held devices, consumer electronics, military devices, etc.)

What is better: AVR or PIC?

Not much to choose - PIC is far more popular, but has been going far longer - the AVR was Atmels effort to try and pinch some of MicroChips market, even down to copying a three letter name.

Pick which you like, there's more support for PIC, but still enough for AVR - generally PIC is considered easier to learn, as it has a much smaller instruction set.

In this case, as an AVR is used, it makes FAR more sense to use an AVR, rather than redesign the project and code.

This is how I see it.

The number one factor less experienced hobbyist should look at is community. Are there people willing to help with problems.

For a more experienced person the tool chain and cost are quite possibly the most influential factors.

Why should we care which chip goes into more products.

3v0

This is how I see it.

The number one factor less experienced hobbyist should look at is community. Are there people willing to help with problems.

For a more experienced person the tool chain and cost are quite possibly the most influential factors.

Why should we care which chip goes into more products.

3v0

Well put, good point.

Market share in 2008.
**broken link removed**

Attachments

• share.GIF
    share.GIF
    9.4 KB · Views: 247
Last edited:
Share of what market?

That table is rather poor and limited.

Sure there is difference between the 8-bits market and, let's say the 32-bits market (where Microchip recognized is not making money yet).

In some of them, MCHP excels. In others don't.

BTW, is correct to name the core as "PIC"? There are quite different cores among the PIC micros.

A preprogramed chip cost $4 but you need to spend $100 for the kit.
Which is the better chip Amtel or Microchip?

$100 assembled, $37.50 for the kit, $15+$4 for the PCB & programmed chip, not a lot of parts, all are common. $20 isn't too bad. It's also open source, you can get all the info to build your own free from...

Spoke POV - Persistence of Vision Toy with Kit

I did a TV-B-Gone based on their info, and it worked. Did my own PCB artwork, wanted smaller, and didn't need a few things. Figure they have accurate documentation.

This came from a Pic POV clock project, so there is probably something PIC on the web already, probably more expensive though.

maybe I need to build one

but first I need to finish the critter ridder (parts comming today or monday?)
then the LED candles (lots more woodworking needs to take place)
Will Junebug program the Amtel chip used in the POV spokes or ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back