Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Potentiometer to dim 12v bulb?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HondaCop

I am going to use automotive, 12v bulbs for a special project of mine and have a couple of questions on how to dim the bulbs with a potentiometer. The bulbs are these: **broken link removed**

My question is...

1. Seeing that these bulbs are 3.78 watts, do I need to make sure that the potentiometer I use to control the voltage into the bulb is at LEAST a 4 watt potentiometer?

2. How many Ohms should my potentiometer be?

I was looking at these potentiometers: http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine....355+4294576007 but I cannot figure out which one would do the job for me.

BTW, the bulbs will be assembled parallel to each other.

Thanks for the help!

Regards,

HondaCop

Here's the simplest PWM circuit I know of, it'll work with the NE555 but it probably won't be as good.
pwm-7555-png.7939

As an alternative. Dashboard Illumination control rheostat? That's if can find one from a car scrapyard on a car that's old enough.

You mention "parallel" - keep in mind that the current for each bulb must be handled - so the number of bulbs will determine the power - if all powered from the same control.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back