Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Posting last result of discussion in Post#1

Status
Not open for further replies.

camerart

Hi,
Following another website, where the result of the discussion, (in my case the PIC program) is posted on post#1. I thought it was a good idea, as the 'attachment' one is looking for can be lost on many posts.
It's been pointed out tome, that it may not be a good idea.
what do you think?
Camerart.

Last edited:
I don't quite understand what your saying, but there is a thread on ETO that went on for at least a year with many iterations and attachment postings.

It was tough to follow because there was no "figure index", even a name of file and post #. Occasionally, I added links to my contributions that referenced the schematic of the current focused discussion.

With a little work you can say things like: In Post #1.....

Last edited by a moderator:
the result of the discussion, (in my case the PIC program) is posted on post#1
The difficulty there is deciding what the result is and when it has been reached. Some (many?) threads go off at a tangent and there may be more than one 'result'. Also, threads which have apparently ended may get added to a year or so later.

Hi K and A,
In this and most of the questions I post, the result is when the program I'm trying to write 'works'
In the thread in question, I'm slowly writing a program, that is updated as it moves forward in POST#1.
I have other posts that ask about sections of the original program, which are then added into the #1 program.
I think it saves having to check through all the updates spread along the thread.
At each update, I point to post#1 in the last post.
C.

The 1st post is easy to get too. The thread that I was involved in had about 5 partipants and probably 1000 or so posts and multiple circuits with early design discussions so it was tough to follow.
So a link with:
Post# Date Filename Thumbnail

would have been really useful.

The ability for thread member to add a caption/comment on other than their first post in the thread would be a good idea.

Your method seems reasonable. Mine requires forum software changes, but I did the posting of the cross references as I saw fit so you don't have to go back more than a few pages.

hi C,
I have found that when a OP modifies or adds to an earlier posting, it makes the helpers following posts meaningless to a new reader.

E

What of an 3 Thread concept?

Tho managing 3 could become a task depending on the number of participants and general topic, an Index would be an simpler method as the topics roll along.

Tho the 3 Thread concept all ready does seem close to post#4

This is where a "solved" button could be useful. The post with the "solved" indicator on it would suggest the answer provided in that post is the one that was eventually used.

This is where a "solved" button could be useful. The post with the "solved" indicator on it would suggest the answer provided in that post is the one that was eventually used.
Hi D,
Your 'solved' button is a good idea, but in this case https://www.electro-tech-online.com...ion-receiving-using-scr-radio-modules.149198/ I am trying to make a program from other programs written in other languages that I don't 'speak', and the program I'm posting in #1 is not solved yet.
As I add to the program, I publish the program, and it may only have a small section changed. So this would be peppered throughout the thread. Anyone interested would need to open each iteration (is this correct?) as they read through the thread, opening each attachment as they read through.
As I come to a problem section, I start a new thread for that particular question, as it is a learning module for anyone, then add the result into the latest program.
My idea is to simply put the latest iteration? in post#1, to save other time and avoid peppering.
I'll stop doing it if it isn't good.
C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back